Jump to navigation Jump to search
|Present Day Details|
Gilgit was the main town of Gilgit Agency.
- BACSA has published the book Gilgit: A Guide to the Christian Cemetery, Gilgit, Northern Areas, Pakistan by Susan Farrington, 2001 8pp, illustrations. See BACSA Books.
- There is also a catalogue reference to Gilgit in the BACSA Archive at the British Library, Mss Eur F370/699. Possibly the reference is to the published book
- Death on the Farang Bur by Salman Rashid July 26, 2013. George Whitaker Hayward, explorer died not very far from Gilgit and his remains today lie buried in the Christian Cemetery. He was beheaded, in 1870.
Historical books online
- Making of a frontier: five years' experiences and adventures in Gilgit, Hunza, Nagar, Chitral & the eastern Hindu-Kush by Algernon Durand 1900 Archive.org
- Sport and Life in the Further Himalaya by Major R L Kennion 1910 Archive.org. The author joined the Indian Foreign and Political Department in 1893, serving in Kashmir, Gilgit and Leh until 1907.
- '"A Frontier Tour" by Lieut-Colonel J. R. C. Gannon (Being Extracts from a Diary written during a journey made with H. E. Lord Rawlinson, C.-in-G. in India, through Dir, Chitral, and the Gilgit Agency, in 1923) The Himalayan Journal: Part 1 Volume 3 ,1931; Part 2 Volume 4, 1932.