|Present Day Details|
|See our interactive map of this location showing|
places of interest during the British period
Hughli was originally founded by the Portuguese in 1537. It was captured by the Mughals in 1632 and the British established a factory there in 1676. It was the headquarters of Hooghly District in the Burdwan Division of the Bengal Districts during the British period. It is now part of the twin conurbation of Hugli-Chuchura.
Modern name: Hugli
Battle of Hughli 1757
- Hooghly Town Imperial Gazetteer
Historical books online
- A Brief History of the Hughli District by Dirom Gray Crawford, Indian Medical Service, Civil Surgeon Hughli 1902 Archive.org
- Hooghly: Past and Present by Shumbhoo Chunder Dey 1906. 2nd file Archive.org, mirror from Central Secretariat Library (CSL) [Delhi] Digital Repository.
- Bengal District Gazetteers: Hooghly by L.S.S. O’Malley and Monmohan Chakravarti, 1912 Archive.org, Public Library of India Collection. 2nd file, Archive.org