Jodhpur City Municipality Conservancy Tramway

From FIBIwiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Jodhpur City Municipality Conservancy Tramway

A conservancy tramway system was constructed by Jodhpur Municipality between 1897 and 1899. The 2ft/610mm narrow gauge(NG) tramway was used to collect night soil from all the public latrines in the city, except one. In 1908 it was reported that bullocks collected the wagons twice daily and formed into trains outside Sojaita Gate. Steam locomotives worked these trains to the disposal site at Bhadwasia, five miles (8km) from the city where the 'filth was buried and the rubbish burnt'. Then system then consisted of 13 miles(21km) which included an extension to the Maharajah's stables. The system operated until 1955 [1].


References

  1. “Industrial Railways and Locomotives of India and South Asia” compiled by Simon Darvill. Published by ‘The Industrial Railway Society’ 2013. ISBN 978 1 901556 82-7. Available at http://irsshop.co.uk/India. Reference: Entry RJ13 page ....