Kaunia-Kurigram Railway

From FIBIwiki
Jump to: navigation, search
Kaunia-Kurigram Railway
[[Image:|150px| ]]
Line of route
Kaunia to Kurigram
Gauge / mileage
2' 6" NG
Timeline
1928-1929 Kaunia-Teesta section converted to MG
Teesta-Kurigram section converted to BG
Key locations
Presidency Bengal
Stations Kaunia, Kurigram, Teesta
System agency
State agency
How to interpret this infobox

The Kaunia-Kurigram Railway was a 2ft 6in/762mm narrow gauge(NG) line that connected to the metre gauge(MG) Northern Bengal State Railway eastwards from Kaunia+ to Teesta+ and then to Kurigram. The line first opened in 1882, with a length of 32 miles(51km) [1]

+Notes
+“Kaunia-Kurigram Railway” is also described in some records as the “Kaunia-Dharlia State Tram/Railway” as it linked Kaunia to the Dharlia River where Kurigram is located

+“Kaunia” is the spelling given in the ‘Imperial Gazetteer’ 1908, the ‘1918 Administration Report’ and modern name. Alternative spelling “Kauniya” is used in the ‘Imperial Gazetteer Railway Map’ 1909</blockquote>

+“Teesta” is the spelling given in the ‘Imperial Gazetteer’ 1908, the ‘Imperial Gazetteer Railway Map’ 1909 and the ‘1918 Administration Report’ and also the modern name which follows the name of the nearby River Teesta. The ‘Imperial Gazetteer’ 1908 gives the alternative “Tista” which is also the modern name

The line was over by East Bengal Railway(EBR) in 1887 and in 1901 the 17 mile(27km) section from Kaunia to Teesta converted to metre gauge(MG) MG becoming part of the Mainline of the ‘EBR Metre Gauge Division’ - See separate page [1].

The Teesta to Kurigram, a length of 15 miles(24km) remained a 2ft 6in/762mm NG line at this time, this section was renamed the . ‘Teesta-Kurigram Railway’ - See separate page.

References

  1. 1.0 1.1 “Administration Report on Railways 1918” pages 47 (pdf56) ; Retrieved 27 Dec 2017