Teesta-Kurigram Railway

From FIBIwiki
(Redirected from Kurigram Branch Railway)
Jump to navigation Jump to search

The Teesta-Kurigram Railway was a 2ft 6in/762mm narrow gauge(NG) line, opened in 1882 and formed the eastern-most part of the Kaunia-Kurigram Railway+ from Teesta+ and then to Kurigram.

+Notes
+“Kaunia-Kurigram Railway” is also described in some records as the “Kaunia-Dharlia State Tram/Railway” as it linked Kaunia to the Dharlia River where Kurigram is located

+“Teesta” is the spelling given in the ‘Imperial Gazetteer’ 1908, the ‘Imperial Gazetteer Railway Map’ 1909 and the ‘1918 Administration Report’ and also the modern name which follows the name of the nearby River Teesta. The ‘Imperial Gazetteer’ 1908 gives the alternative “Tista” which is also the modern name

In some records this line is known as the Kurigram Branch Railway

The line was over by East Bengal Railway(EBR) in 1887 and in 1901 the 17 mile(27km) section from Kaunia to Teesta converted to metre gauge(MG) becoming part of the ‘EBR Mainline MG’ network [1]. The Teesta to Kurigram, a length of 15 miles(24km) remained a 2ft 6in/762mm NG line at this time [2].

1916-17 the conversion of the 'Teesta-Kurigram Railway' section from Teesta to Kurigram from NG to metre gauge(MG) was sanctioned by Government of India(GoI) under the agency of the East Bengal Railway(EBR). The NG rolling stock thus released was to be transferred to the Khulna-Bagerhat Railway [3].

The date of completion of the conversion to MG of the 'Teesta-Kurigram Railway' has not been determined. It would have been worked by, and absorbed into, the East Bengal Railway(EBR).

Further Information

See Eastern Bengal Railway - Lines owned and worked

References