Ranchi Plateau Railway Survey
The Ranchi Plateau Railway Survey was undertaken in the period 1894-98 and reported:-  :-
Survey A. ‘Chatrand to proposed Palamow-Sini Line’
“A survey for a standard gauge (Note 1) line from Chatatand on the Adra-Jherriah alignment (Note 2) referred to in the ’Midnapore-Jherriah Coalfield Railway Survey’ [See separate page] to some point on the proposed Palamow-Sini line (Note 3), a length of 115 mile” (Note 4)
Survey B. ‘Tori to Aringi via Lohardugga NG Line with Ranchi NG Branch’
“A reconnaissance for a 2-foot gauge (Note 5) from Tori to Aringi via Lohardugga (Note 6), with a branch to Ranchi, 80 miles”(Note 7)
with the statement that:-
“ These surveys are both in hand and these railways, if constructed, will form protective lines for the Ranchi Plateau in time of famine.”
Notes and Interpretations
- ‘Standard Gauge’ in this context is the 5foot 6 inch/ 1676mm Indian Broad Gauge
- ‘From Chatatand on the Adra-Jherriah alignment’ .
- ‘To some point on the proposed Palamow-Sini Line’.
- 'Palamow' not located
- Sini became a major junction on the BNR network.
- It has not been possible to identify the proposed line of this route with a length of ‘115 miles’.
- ‘2-foot Gauge’ is the 2ft/610mm Narrow Gauge
- It has not been possible to identify the locations of Tori, Aringi or Lohardugga
- It appears that this alignment was not adopted, however some years later a direct 2-foot gauge line constructed from Purulia to Ranchi
See separate page Jharia Coalfield Railways
See also Midnapore-Jherriah Coalfield Railway Survey as this is included in the same 1894-98 Report