|Altitude:||17 m (56 ft)|
|Present Day Details|
An excellent website which provides beautiful images of missionary sites in and around Serampore, along with maps and useful links is at Virtual Serampore.
Modern name: Serampore
- FIBIS database: 1840 Serampore Census transcribed by Sylvia Murphy. European & Indo-European names. Details of names are available without restriction. Full details such as address, occupation, religion etc. are only available to logged-in FIBIS members.
The Danish name was Frederiksnagore. Alternative spelling: Frederiksnagor, Frederiksnagar. It was established by the Danish East India Company, by then called the Asiatic Company, in 1755.
Danish residents in 1813
Thomas M. Robertson has kindly extracted all the names of Danish residents of Serampore from the Calcutta Annual Directory and Calendar of 1813. They are listed below:
|ABRESTTE, A. ALPHONSE, A. (court sergeant)|
|BANG, H.C. BANG, A. BECKER, H.C. BECKER, C.M. BELDER, J. BENDESBOLL, J. BIE, O.L. (magistrate native-court) BIRCK, A. BORRISEN, J. BOYESEN, N.F. BROAGER, A.J. BROAGER, H.C. BRUN, F.|
|CANNON, N. CARSTENSEN, C. CHRISTIAN, P.|
|FARNON, A. FIELLERUP, H.J. FISCHER, S. FICK, C. FREY, J.P. FROM, C. FROM, H.C.|
|GANTZER, J. (court sargeant) GRAMBERG, T.|
|HAMMER, N. HAMMER, J. HAMMER, R. HANSON, T. HANSON , H. HELSDING, J.H. HELSDING , J.C. HERMENSON, J.P. HOLM, L. HOLM, H.|
|JACOBSEN, J. JANSEN, C. JENSEN, J. JESSEN, P.|
|KEIRULF, S. KIERSGAARDT, N. KOOTER, L. KREFTING, Jacob, (late Governor) KRUSE, H.M.|
|LAARSEN, J. LUND, P.J. LUND, N.P.|
|MAURITZEN, M. MOSTROPH, P.C.|
|OLSEN, N. OLSEN, E.|
|PAGH, S. PAY, L. PETERSEN, L.W. PETERSEN, H.P. PETERSEN, M. PETERSEN, P.S. PRENSE, P.N. PRINTZLING, C.H.G. (magistrate Eur.court)|
|REICRSEN, S. ROMER, F.|
|SCHAFFALITZKY, A. SCHMIDT, P.D. SIEDLER, S. SMIDT, C. SCOTMAN, C. (Name is possibly meant to be SOETMAN) SCOTMAN F. SONNIGSEN, . STEIEGLER, J.B. SWANSEGER, G. SWINGEL, H.|
|TIDEMAN, C.R. THIELE, A. TOP, Casper|
|WALLICH, N. (settlement surgeon) WESSEL, J.H. WESTERMAN, B.W. WICKEDE, B.V. WOLFF, J.C. WOLFF, C.M.|
There are two burial grounds at Serampore - Danish and the Mission.
- Searchable British Library catalogue
- "Our heritage, their heritage" Sunday, July 15, 2012 The Telegraph, Calcutta, now an archived webpage. Heritage buildings in Serampore and Chandernagore
- The Serampore Initiative National Museum of Denmark, now archived.
- "Indo-Danish Heritage Buildings of Serampore" by Flemming Aalund & Simon Rastén August 2010. natmus.dk, now an archived webpage.
- Photograph: Serampore (Fredericknagore), St Olaf's Church c. 1912 to 1914. Canmore, Historic Environment Scotland.
- Robert Ivermee on Hooghly: The Global History of a River Live History India Book Club. Contains a YouTube video (50 minutes). Includes discussion about Serampore.
Historical books online
- Serampore Imperial Gazetteer
- The Story of Serampore and its College by George Howells and A C Underwood 1918. Archive.org, mirror from Central Secretariat Library (CSL) [Delhi] Digital Repository.
- "The Danes at Serampore", by F.B.Bradley Birt, Calcutta Review, No. 295, January 1919, (New [2nd] Series Volume 25), pages 92-118 Archive.org, Digital Library of India Collection. Note however, that it is in the volume which is catalogued as 1918. This volume has title page and contents pages for 1918, but articles for 1919.
- From Bengal, Past and Present Volume 23, July to Dec. 1921 Archive.org.
- "The Three Oldest Church Registers of Serampur 29th July 1769-1843" by Rev H Hosten SJ, page 154
- "Christian Inscriptions from Serampur" by Rev H Hosten SJ, page 171. Note from the Contents page, the last two pages of this article are missing.
- Der dänische Gesamtstaat: ein unterschätztes Weltreich?/The Oldenburg Monachy:An Underestimated Empire (in English) page 77 article by Eric Gobel 2006 Google Books
- Der dänische Gesamtstaat: ein unterschätztes Weltreich?/The Oldenburg Monachy:An Underestimated Empire (in English) page 57 article by Finn- Einar Eilassen 2006 Google Books
- A collection of treaties, engagements, and sunnuds, relating to India and neighbouring countries. Volume 1 Bengal, Burmah and the Eastern Archipelago, page 70 1862 compiled by C U Aitchison Google Books
- Roberts, John E C. Marshall/Marschalk Rootsweb India Mailing List 26 August 2009. Retrieved 29 October 2018. Also mentions records.