|Chronological list of Wars and Campaigns|
|East India Company||Taiping Rebels|
|Result: Gordon's forces defeated the rebels|
|Category: Taiping Rebellion|
|See our interactive map of|
locations and routes on Google Maps
The Taiping Rebellion was a large scale revolt against the Qing Dynasty. Western powers became involved in 1860 after an attack upon Shanghai. This led eventually to the defeat of the Taipings at the hands of the The Ever-Victorious Army under Maj Charles George Gordon.
- Taiping Rebellion Wikipedia
- Events involving the British Google Books
- Charles George Gordon Dictionary of National Biography
- "Letters From China" by Scott Pettitt. A series of 7 articles about the letters of Thomas Adkins, held at the Warwickshire County Record Office including "Letters From China: The Taiping Rebellion". ourwarwickshire.org.uk. Obituary details.
Historical books online
- The “Ever Victorious Army.” A history of the Chinese Campaign under Lt. Col. C. G. Gordon ... and of the suppression of the Tai-Ping Rebellion by Andrew Wilson, formerly editor of the China Mail 1868 Google Books. Archive.org edition.
- "Notes on the operations around Shanghai in 1862-63-64" by Lieut Colonel C G Gordon R E, page 109 Papers on subjects connected with the duties of the Corps of Royal Engineers Volume 19 1871 Google Books
- General Gordon's Private Diary of His Exploits in China Amplified by Samuel Mossman, the latter previous Editor of The North China Herald 1885 Archive.org
- Fiction: The Mandarin's Daughter : a story of the great Taiping Rebellion, and Gordon's "Ever-Victorious Army" by Samuel Mossman 1876 Google Books. Republished as The Great Taiping Rebellion : a story of General Gordon in China by Samuel Mossman 1893. Archive.org.
- Thomas 'China Tom' Adkins, b.1836 Obituary. adkins-family.org.uk