Jump to navigation Jump to search
|Chronological list of Wars and Campaigns|
|East India Company||Taiping Rebels|
|Result: Gordon's forces defeated the rebels|
|Category: Taiping Rebellion|
|See our interactive map of|
locations and routes on Google Maps
The Taiping Rebellion was a large scale revolt against the Qing Dynasty. Western powers became involved in 1860 after an attack upon Shanghai. This led eventually to the defeat of the Taipings at the hands of the The Ever-Victorious Army under Maj Charles George Gordon.
- Taiping Rebellion Wikipedia
- Events involving the British Google Books
- Charles George Gordon Dictionary of National Biography
- "Letters From China" by Scott Pettitt. A series of 7 articles about the letters of Thomas Adkins, held at the Warwickshire County Record Office including "Letters From China: The Taiping Rebellion". ourwarwickshire.org.uk. Obituary details.
Historical books online
- History of the Insurrection in China by Mm Callery and Yvan. Translated from the French by John Oxenford. 3rd edition, enlarged 1854 (first translated 1853). Archive.org.
- French edition 1853. Archive.org
- The “Ever Victorious Army.” A history of the Chinese Campaign under Lt. Col. C. G. Gordon ... and of the suppression of the Tai-Ping Rebellion by Andrew Wilson, formerly editor of the China Mail 1868 Google Books. Archive.org edition.
- "Notes on the operations around Shanghai in 1862-63-64" by Lieut Colonel C G Gordon R E, page 109 Papers on subjects connected with the duties of the Corps of Royal Engineers Volume 19 1871 Google Books
- General Gordon's Private Diary of His Exploits in China Amplified by Samuel Mossman, the latter previous Editor of The North China Herald 1885 Archive.org. 2nd file with Map Archive.org, Granth Sanjeevani Collection.
- The International Relations of the Chinese Empire by Hosea Ballou Morse. I The Period of Conflict, 1834-1860. II. The Period of Submission, 1861-1893. (III. The period of Subjection, 1894-1911). Published 1910 to 1918.
- Volume I (probably 2nd edition), Vol. I 2nd file, but missing title page (appears to have been author/publishing decision); Volume II; (Volume III) All Archive.org.
- Autumn in the Heavenly Kingdom: China , The West and the epic story of the Taiping Civil War by Stephen R. Platt 2012. Archive.org Books to Borrow/Lending Library.
- Return to an address of the Honourable The House of Commons, dated 25 June, 1863 : for, "Copy of the correspondence between the military authorities at Shanghai and the War Office respecting the insalubrity of Shanghai as a station for European troops:" "And, numerical return of sickness and mortality of the troops of all arms at Shanghai, from the year 1860 to the latest date, showing the per-centage upon the total strength" Archive.org.
- Fiction: The Mandarin's Daughter : a story of the great Taiping Rebellion, and Gordon's "Ever-Victorious Army" by Samuel Mossman 1876 Google Books. Republished as The Great Taiping Rebellion : a story of General Gordon in China by Samuel Mossman 1893. Archive.org.
- ↑ Thomas 'China Tom' Adkins, b.1836 Obituary. adkins-family.org.uk