Temperance organisations active in India include the International Order of Good Templars (IOGT), the Army Temperance Association India (ATAI), the Royal Army Temperance Association: India/Home (RATA) and the Indian Army Temperance Association
- Silver medal of the Army Temperance Association, India The medal is in the shape of a Maltese Cross, with an elephant in the centre. It was awarded for accomplishing 8 years temperance . National Museums Scotland
- British India Historic Medals: Army Temperance Medals from Praful Thakkar’s Indian Numismatics. Images can be enlarged.
- Three photographs from Soldiers of the Queen
- Photograph of a Private wearing Temperance medals by L.C. Mullick – Photographer Quetta c 1902. The medals link him with both the Army Temperance Association and the Soldier's Total Abstinence Association.
- Private of the 1st Battalion, The Cheshire Regiment a member of the International Order of Good Templars India c 1897
- A Private of the King's (Liverpool) Regiment, a member of the International Order of Good Templars Ramji & Co. – Photographer Dalhousie, Punjab, India c 1905
- Falling off the wagon The Temperance movement and medals. fusiliermuseumlondon.org, an archived page.
- The International Order of Good Templars ( IOGT) (Wikipedia) originated as one of a number of fraternal organizations for temperance or total abstinence founded in the 19th century and with a structure modeled on Freemasonry, using similar ritual and regalia
- Article "The Cautionary Tale of Pte Patrick O’Hare", of the 1st Leinsters. Details the temperance tract published 1897 regarding the murders in 1894 at Ahmedabad committed while under the influence of alcohol, and subsequent execution of Private O Hara. pages 4-6 The 40/10 The Journal of the Prince of Wales’s Leinster Regiment (Royal Canadians) Regimental Association December 2009 Retrieved 18 October 2014
Historical books online
- "Military Temperance Societies" [in Bengal] page 84, "Asiatic Intelligence", The Asiatic Journal and Monthly Register. Volume 27 September-December 1838 Google Books
- Ritual of the Independent Order of Good Templars for Subordinate Lodges under the jurisdiction of the Right Worthy Grand Lodge of North America 1864 Archive.org
- The Good Templars: A History of the Rise and Progress of the Independent Order of Good Templars Jubilee Volume 1851-1901. Archive.org
- The situation in India in 1901 page 153. The members were mainly military.
- Indian Templar Handbook Compiled by the Literature Committee of the International Order of Good Templars, Grand Lodge of India. Published 1907. Includes Chapter III "Good Templary in India", page 41 Archive.org. Membership included both military personnel and others.
- A Guide to Military Temperance Medals by David A. Harris. 2nd Edition (with additional information) 2006. Published by Stewart Publishing and Printing, Ontario, Canada. The author died in 2016.