25th Regiment of Punjab Infantry
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Known as 25th Punjabis
- 1857 raised as 17th Regiment of Punjab Infantry
- 1861 became 25th Bengal Native Infantry
- 1864 became 25th (Punjab) Bengal Native Infantry
- 1885 became 25th (Punjab) Bengal Infantry
- 1901 became 25th Punjab Infantry
- 1903 became 25th Punjabis
- 1922 became 1st/15th Punjab Regiment
- 1947 allocated to Pakistan on Partition
- 25th Punjabis British Empire website
- Two Soldiers of the 25th Punjab Infantry - Unfinished Watercolor 1887
- 15th Punjab Regiment Wikipedia
- Pakistan: The Punjab Regiment to 1957 by Babur Mahmood September 1, 2002 orbat.com, now archived.
- Obituary: John Prendergast 1910-2008 The Telegraph 03 March 2008, archived. He took part in the Arakan (Burma) campaign (WW2) as second in command of 1/15th Punjab Regiment ( 1/15 PR) then was given command of 3/6th Rajputana Rifles, part of 19th Indian Division (in Burma). He was awarded a DSO for the Burma campaign. His books include an autobiography Prender’s Progress: a soldier in India, 1931-47, published 1979, available at the British Library, UIN: BLL01009394176 .
Historical books online
- "Despatch from General Sir G.F. Milne Commanding in Chief, the Army of The Black Sea dated 11 August 1920" The London Gazette Supplement Publication date: 7 January 1921 Supplement: 32184 Pages: 159-175. From the date of the signature of the Armistice with Turkey to the date of the signature of the Turkish Peace Treaty (10th August 1020). Indian Army regiments mentioned: 28th Light Cavalry, 19th Punjabis, 1/21st Punjabis, 1/25th Punjabis and 1/54th Sikhs.
- Also see Norperforce