8th Regiment of Punjab Infantry
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Known as 20th Brownlow's Punjabis
- 1857 formed as 8th Regiment of Punjab Infantry by Charles Brownlow from loyal elements of the 4th and 5th Punjab Infantry
- 1861 Brought into Bengal Army replacing 24th Regiment of Bengal Native Infantry which had mutinied
- 1861 renumbered 20th Regiment of Bengal Native Infantry
- 1864 became 20th (Punjab) Regiment of Bengal Native Infantry
- 1883 became 20th (Duke of Cambridge's Own Punjab) Bengal Infantry
- 1901 became 20th (Duke of Cambridge's Own) Punjab Infantry
- 1904 became 20th Duke of Cambridge's Own Infantry (Brownlow's Punjabis)
- 1922 amalgamated with five other regiments to form the 6-battalion 14th Punjab Regiment (2nd Battalion)
- 1947 allocated to Pakistan on Partition
- 1956 amalgamated into The Punjab Regiment
- Punjab Frontier
- China 1900
- Brownlow's Punjabis Wikipedia
- 20th Brownlow's Punjabis British Empire Website
- 14th Punjab Regiment Wikipedia
- The Punjab Regiment Wikipedia
- 14th Punjab Regiment, an extract from John Gaylor's book Sons Of John Company. Defence Journal Karachi August 1999, now archived.
- 14th Punjab Regiment Burma Star Association
- Pakistan: The Punjab Regiment to 1957 by Babur Mahmood September 1, 2002 orbat.com, now archived.
- Drawing: "Man in Brownlow's Corps at Peshawar" (1858). Brown Digital Repository, Brown University Library, Providence, RI, USA.
Historical books online
- History of the 20th (Duke of Cambridge's Own) Infantry, Brownlow's Punjabis ; from its formation, in 1857, to 1907, published c 1909. Hathi Trust Digital Library.
- Volume 2, 1909 to 1922 is available in a reprint edition, which in turn is available as an online book on the Ancestry owned pay website fold3, located in International/Military Books/India.
- Historical Records of the 20th (Duke Of Cambridge’s Own) Infantry Brownlow’s Punjabis 1909-1922 Naval & Military Press.