|Altitude:||228 m (748 ft)|
|Present Day Details|
|See our interactive map of this location showing|
places of interest during the British period
Jullundur was the headquarters of Jullundur District in the Jullundur Division of Punjab Province during the British period. Other nearby cities include Ludhiana to the south and Amritsar to the north.
Modern spelling: Jalandhar
In 1901 the town had two flour mills and a brass and iron foundry, and its trades included silk manufacture and carpentry.
The cantonment had been established in 1846, four miles to the west of the town, and usually contained two batteries of field artillery, one battalion of British infantry, one regiment of native cavalry and a battalion of native infantry.
The Prince Consort’s Own Rifle Brigade, 3rd Battalion, was stationed there in 1892.
Photograph: No.13 Bungalow, Wellington Barracks, Jullundur, India, March 31st 1917 from Harold Bailey's Photo Album - Indian scenes from www.25thlondon.com. Note at this time the name "Wellington Barracks, Jullundur" was used.
Photograph: Jullundur - Barracks interior 1917. 25thlondon.com. Retrieved 25 August 2014
- Jullundur Town Imperial gazetteer
- Jalandhar Cantt Jalandhar Online
- History Cantonment Board Jalandhar with images of St Mary's Cathedral Church and St Luke Church
Historical books online
- "Jullundur" page 392 Report of the Commissioners Appointed to Inquire into the Sanitary State of the Army in India : with Abstract of Evidence, and of Reports Received from Indian Military Stations 1864 Archive.org
- Gazetteer Of The Jalandhar District 1883-84 A volume in the series Punjab District Gazetteers. Pdf download, Digital Library of India.
- Punjab District Gazetteers Jullundur District Vol.xiva 1908. Pdf download, Digital Library of India.
- "Jullundur District" page 80 A list of inscriptions on Christian tombs or monuments in the Punjab, North-West Frontier Province, Kashmir and Afghanistan possessing historical or archaeological interest Part 1 by Miles Irving (1910) Hathi Trust Digital Library
- "A Few Stations In India" by Mrs. H. V. Bagshawe. Journal of the Royal Army Medical Corps 1926;46:3 214-223. The author was the wife of a medical officer in the RAMC who was based at Jullunder, Dalhousie and New Cantonments Delhi.