Jump to navigation Jump to search
Modern name: Khadki
|Altitude:||570 metres (1,870 ft)|
|Present Day Details|
|Great Indian Peninsula Railway|
In the British era Kirkee was a town and cantonment in Poona District. See Bombay Districts.
- Battle of Kirkee 1817
- During the First World War there was a Prisoner of War Camp for Turkish prisoners, see POW Camps in India for brief details.
Modern name: Khadki
Spelling variants: Kirkee/Kirki
- All Saints’ Church, Khadki archived website. A current website could not be located at 19 February 2021, but perhaps may become available in the future. The website previously had internal links which unfortunately do not appear to have been archived/or are now accessible, but perhaps may become available in a future version of the website.
- Images of the church
- Online images of pages from church registers, (baptisms, marriages and burials) some of which are unfortunately somewhat indistinct to read. (Links are on lower left hand side of the Home Page). Scroll down Archive.org link for some archived register pages.
- St. Andrew's Church, Khadki, Pune You Tube
- Image: The Barracks (B) Kirkee 1890, image 239 Slideshow of photographs : Old Pune by Avinash Bhondwe slideshare.net. Hover your mouse over the toolbar towards the bottom of the image, and scroll to image 239. There is an option to "View full screen".
- "Prince of Wales commemorates Remembrance Sunday in India" 10 November 2013 The Telegraph, archived. Includes details of the Commonwealth War Graves cemetery at Kirkee. The cemetery was created following the 1952 'rescue' of 1,668 fallen soldiers from neglected graves throughout India.
- Kirkee 1914-1918 Memorial - This total includes the names of 629 servicemen whose remains were brought from Bombay (Sewri) Cemetery for re-interment here in 1962; Kirkee New Cemetery [First World War], Kirkee War Cemetery [Second World War], Kirkee 1939-1945 Memorial Commonwealth War Graves Commission
- Images for military graves Kirkee Old Cemetery and Kirkee New (Cantonment) Cemetery. twgpp.org. Browse by Cemetery using Kirkee in the search will bring up other cemeteries in Kirkee for which there are also images available.
- Photographs: Kirkee War Cemetery includes Memorial panels. Taken July 4, 2005 by Paul C A Nixon Flickr.com
Historical books online
- Kirkee Imperial Gazetteer
- Poona and Kirkee page 447 Report of the Commissioners Appointed to Inquire into the Sanitary State of the Army in India : with Abstract of Evidence, and of Reports Received from Indian Military Stations 1864 Archive.org
- "Map of Poona and Kirkee" between pages 342 and 343, A Handbook for Travellers in India, Burma, and Ceylon published by John Murray, London Eighth Edition 1911 Archive.org.