110th Mahratta Light Infantry
Known as the 10th Regiment of Bombay Native Infantry in the Bombay Army
Known as 110th Mahratta Light Infantry in the Indian Army
- 1797 formed as 2nd Battalion, 5th (Travancore) Regiment of Bombay Native Infantry
- 1824 became 10th Regiment of Bombay Native Infantry
- 1871 became 10th Regiment of Bombay Native (Light) Infantry
- 1885 became 10th Regiment of Bombay (Light) Infantry
- 1901 became 10th Bombay Light Infantry
- 1903 became 110th Mahratta Light Infantry
- 1922 became 3rd/5th Mahratta Light Infantry
- 1947 allocated to India on Partition
First World War
Regimental History: Historical record 110th Mahratta Light Infantry (now 3rd Battalion 5th Mahratta Light Infantry) during the Great War, 1914 to 1918, published 1927. Also available in a reprint edition, which in turn is available online on the pay website fold3, refer below.
The Regiment was one of the Indian army formations caught up in the disaster at Kut-al-Asmara in Mesopotamia (today's Iraq) in which a garrison commended by General Sir Charles Townshend was bottled up and compelled to surrender by the Turks. After the tragedy of Kut - in which many soldiers perished in Turkish captivity - the regiment was re-formed from its surviving remnants and saw service in the Palestinian campaign in the closing months of the war.
- 110th Maratta Light Infantry British Empire website
- Maratha Light Infantry Wikipedia
- 5th Mahratta Light Infantry Wikipedia
- 110th Mahratta Light Infantry Wikipedia
Historical books online
- Lists of the officers of His Majesty's and the Hon. Company's troops serving under the Presidency of Bombay from Adjutant General's Office January 1st 1798 2nd Battalion 5th Regiment Officers' muster roll in Surat Google Books
- Valour Enshrined Pdf download, Digital Library of India. Archive.org version. Full title: Valour enshrined. A history of the Maratha Light Infantry, 1768-1947 by M.G. Abhyankar [Volume1], published 1971. (There was a second volume published, by C.L. Proudfoot in 1980, covering the period 1947-1979). The DLI file appears to be a reprint edition which advises first published 1960, but this date is not correct for this book.
- Historical record 110th Mahratta Light Infantry (now 3rd Battalion 5th Mahratta Light Infantry) during the Great War, 1914 to 1918, published 1927 is available in a reprint edition, which in turn is available online on the Ancestry owned pay website fold3, located in World War II/Military Books/India.
- HIstorical Record 110th Mahratta Light Infantry During The Great War Naval & Military Press reprint edition.