(Redirected from 17th Bengal Lancers)Jump to navigation Jump to search
- 1857 raised at Muttra as the Muttra Horse
- 1857 became the Muttra Police Corps
- 1858 became the Rohilkhand Auxiliary Police Levy
- 1858 became Robarts' Horse
- 1861 became 17th Regiment of Bengal Cavalry
- 1882 disbanded
- 1885 re-raised at Meean Meer by Col E H E Kauntze
- 1900 became 17th Regiment of Bengal Lancers
- 1901 became 17th Bengal Lancers
- 1903 became 17th Cavalry
- 1921 amalgamated with 37th Lancers (Baluch Horse) to form 17th/37th Lancers
- 1922 became 15th Lancers
- The Star and Crescent: being the story of the 17th Cavalry from 1858 to 1922 by Francis C. C. Yeats-Brown. Published at Allahabad 1927. Available at the British Library.
- 17th Cavalry Google Books
- "The 17th Cavalry East Africa Squadron 1915 – 1916" by Harry Fecitt April 14, 2011. gweaa.com
Historical books online
- Diary of a Journey across Tibet by Captain Hamilton Bower 17th Bengal Cavalry 1894 Archive.org.
- Bengal Lancer by Francis Yeats-Brown 1930 Archive.org. The book recommended below, The Lives of a Bengal Lancer appears to be the American title for the same book. The book is a memoir of Yeats-Brown's time in India from 1905 to 1914.
- Francis Yeats-Brown 1886-1944 by John Evelyn Wrench 1948. Pdf download, Digital Library of India. Archive.org version
The Lives of a Bengal Lancer by Francis Yeats-Brown
Published by Long Riders' Guild Press (December 2001) ISBN 1590480996 and ISBN 978-1590480991
See Military reading list for a review of this book.