3rd Afghan War
|3rd Afghan War|
|6 May – 8 August 1919|
|Chronological list of Wars and Campaigns|
|British Army||Afghan regular forces|
British subsidy dicontinued
Afghans regained control of foreign policy
Border with British India confirmed
India General Service Medal (1909)
Clasp:Afghanistan NWF 1919
|Category: 3rd Afghan War|
Hoping to regain control of foreign policy ceded to the British at the Treaty of Gandamak 1879 and to divert attention from internal strife, Amir Amanullah Khan invaded India on 3 May 1919. Military action took place mostly in the Khyber Pass but Kabul was bombed by the Royal Air Force and the Afghans attacked Thal. The Afghan forces were driven from British Indian territory and the Treaty of Rawalpindi on 8 August ended the British subsidy to Afghanistan which regained the right to conduct its own foreign affairs. The Durand Line defining the border between Afghanistan and the North West Frontier was re-affirmed.
British Library holdings
- The Third Afghan War 1919 Official Account, with maps, by General Staff, Army Headquarters, India, published 1926 Calcutta. Now available to download, see below.
- War Diary [Collection], Army Headquarters India, Afghan War, 1919. GSI, 1919. 9 vols IOR/L/MIL/17/5/4057-4065. Printed volumes from the Military Library. Locate these records using the British Library Search.
- The medal awarded was the India General Service Medal 1908 with clasp Afghanistan N W F 1919
- Also see Medal Rolls
- Map of the Third Afghan War Military Times
- Third Anglo-Afghan War Wikipedia
- Third Anglo-Afghan War Google Books
- Asymmetry in Afghanistan - the poison gas option The Serving Soldier website
- Third Afghan War - 1919 from 25th County of London Cyclist Battalion: The London Regiment
- "British Retreat from Waziristan" by Mark Jacobsen khyber.org
- Photographs 1919 compiled by Major G A Clarke, 12th Pioneers (The Kelat-i-Ghilzie Regiment), and 2nd Battalion, 2nd Bombay Pioneers. National Army Museum collection 1963-09-633
- Sgt Reginald White 48 Squadron RAF in the Third Anglo-Afghan War. archive.org
- India General Service Medal 1908 Clasp Award Criteria (scroll down) northeastmedals.co.uk
Historical books online
- "Operations against Afghanistan" London Gazette Supplement 12 March 1920
- Third Afghan War 1919--Official Account by Army HQ India 1926 may be downloaded as a pdf from PAHAR- Mountains of Central Asia Digital Dataset. Also available on scribd.com.
- "The Third Afghan War", page 270 A History of Afghanistan Volume II by Brig-Gen Sir Percy Sykes 1940 Archive.org
- Hired to Kill: Some Chapters of Autobiography by Charles John Morris 1960. Link to a pdf download, PAHAR Mountains of Central Asia Digital Dataset. John Morris was an officer with the 3rd Gurkha Rifles from 1918 until 1934 in Palestine, Afghanistan (the Third Afghan War in 1919), Waziristan and the North West Frontier of India.
- The Green Howards In The Great War 1914-1919 by Colonel H C Wylly 1926
- Available on the pay website findmypast. If signed in to findmypast, the links are Title page (image 4), Contents page (image 9)
- Includes the 1st Battalion in India and the Third Afghan War 1914-1919. Commences Page 9, (image 27), Third Afghan War: page 15 (image 33)
- Also available in a reprint edition, which in turn is available as an online book on the Ancestry owned pay website fold3.
- Note the fold3 version is easier to read online than the findmypast version.