Wars involving British India
- The Library of Congress Afghanistan Project. World Digital Library. Click on "Narrow results", top left hand side of webpage, to filter by various criteria, or the criteria may be displayed.
- Arthur Paul Afghanistan Collection at the University of Nebraska-Omaha. Catalogue to 1998. Online books to download, by year of being digitised.
- Historical maps from the University of Texas Austin, including some relating to the First and Second Afghan Wars
- An article Historical Sources for Afghanistan In the British Library, 2005 by Richard Scott Morel, page 26 of this pdf link
- Phototheca Afghanica Historical Images of Afghanistan. A project of Foundation Bibliotheca Afghanica, CH-4416 Bubendorf.
Historical books online
- Online books from The Library of Congress Afghanistan Project World Digital Library. Also include publications in respect of the surrounding countries.
- Online books to download from Arthur Paul Afghanistan Collection at the University of Nebraska-Omaha, by year of publication.
- "Papers Descriptive of the Countries on the North-West Frontier of India:-The Thurr, or Desert; Joodpoor and Jaysulmeer" by Alex. Burnes, an article from Journal of the Royal Geographical Society of London, Volume 4. 1834. With maps. Archive.org
- Travels into Bokhara; being the account of a journey from India to Cabool, Tartary, and Persia; also, Narrative of a voyage on the Indus, from the sea to Lahore, with presents from the king of Great Britain; performed under the orders of the supreme government of India, in the years 1831, 1832, and 1833 by Lieutenant Alexander Burnes 1834 Volume I, Volume II, Volume III Archive.org
- Journey to the North of India: Overland from England, Through Russia, Persia, and Affghaunistan by Lieut. Arthur Conolly 1834. 2nd edition revised 1838 Volume I 1834, Volume II 1834; Volume I, 1838, Volume II 1838 Google Books
- Narrative of Various Journeys in Balochistan, Afghanistan, and the Panjab: including a Residence in Those Countries from 1826 to 1838 by Charles Masson 1842 Google Books Volume1, Volume 2, Volume 3
- Narrative of Various Journeys in Balochistan, Afghanistan, the Panjab, and Kalât, During a Residence in Those Countries: To which is Added an Account of the Insurrection at Kalât, and a Memoir on Eastern Balochistan by Charles Masson 1844 Google Books Volume 1, Volume 2, Volume 3, Volume 4
- Gazetteer of the Countries Adjacent to India on the Northwest including Sinde Afghanistan Beloochistan The Punjab and the Neighbouring States by Edward Thornton, 1844 Volume 1, A-K, Volume 2, L-Z, together with an Appendix containing 'Routes' and an Index (A-Z) Google Books
- Central Asia Part II: A contribution towards the better knowledge of the topography, ethnology, resources, & history of Afghanistan complied (for political and military reference) by C.M. MacGregor. 1871 HathiTrust Digital Library.
- Narrative of a journey through the province of Khorassan and on the N.W. Frontier of Afghanistan in 1875, by Colonel C.M. MacGregor. 1879. Volume I HathiTrust Digital Library Pdf download Digital Library of India, Archive.org mirror version; Volume II HathiTrust Digital Library, Pdf download Digital Library of India, Archive.org mirror version.
- Notes on Afghanistan and part of Baluchistan by Major H G Raverty, Bombay Native Infantry (Retired) 1880 Hathi Trust Digital Library. Pdf download 1888, Digital Library of India. Archive.org mirror version.
- England and Russia face to face in Asia: travels with the Afghan Boundary Commission by Lieutenant Arthur Campbell Yate, Bombay Staff Corps 1887 Archive.org
- Northern Afghanistan or, Letters from the Afghan Boundary Commission by Major Charles Edward Yate, Bombay Staff Corps 1888 Archive.org
- 1893 The Military Geography of Afghanistan Part 1 Badakhshan by Barrow (secret)
- 1893 The Military Geography of Afghanistan Part 2 Afghan Turkistan by Barrow (secret)
- 1893 The Military Geography of Afghanistan Part 3 Herat by Barrow (secret)
- 1893 The Military Geography of Afghanistan Part 4 Kabul by Mason (secret)
- 1893 The Military Geography of Afghanistan Part 5 Farah and Kandahar by Elles (secret)
- Pdf downloads, Pahar- Mountains of Central Asia Digital Dataset. Issued by the Intelligence Branch, Q.M.G.'s Department. Published Calcutta. Secret. Contents: pt. 1. Badakhshan by E.G. Barrow - pt. 2. Afghan Turkistan by E.G. Barrow - pt. 3. Herat by E.G. Barrow - pt. 4. Kabul by A.H. Mason - pt. 5. Farah and Kandahar by E.R. Elles.
- Report on the proceedings of the Pamir Boundary Commission (1897) "Afghanistan: The Arthur Paul Afghanistan Collection at the University of Nebraska-Omaha"
- "The Russo- Afghan Boundary Commission", page 94 The Indian Borderland, 1880-1900 by Colonel Sir T. Hungerford Holdich, late of the Indian Survey Department 1901 Archive.org
- India by Colonel Sir Thomas Hungerford Holdich 1904 Archive.org
- The Gates of India, being an Historical Narrative by Colonel Sir Thomas Holdich 1910
- Political Frontiers and Boundary Making by Col. Sir Thomas H Holdich 1916
- "Between the Tigris and the Indus" by Colonel Sir Thomas H Holdich The Geographical Review Volume IV September 1, 1917 Archive.org
- Lights & Shades of Hill Life in the Afghan and Hindu Highlands of the Punjab, a Contrast by F St J Gore 1895 Archive.org. With photographs by the author. Part I Kulu. Part II Kuram.
- The Imperial Gazetteer of India: Afghanistan And Nepal 1908 Pdf download, Digital Library of India. Archive.org mirror version. Contents: Afghanistan computer page 7, Nepal cp 10, Index cp 141. It is also available to download as a pdf from Pahar-Mountains of Central Asia Digital Dataset.
- The Frontiers Of Baluchistan by G P Tate 1909. Full title: The Frontiers of Baluchistan : Travels on the Borders of Persia and Afghanistan [Seistan (Sistan) Arbitration Mission, 1903-1905]. Pdf download, Digital Library of India. Archive.org mirror version.
- "Russian Railways towards India" by Colonel C E de la Poer Beresford Proceedings of the Central Asian Society December 1905 Archive.org
- Beyond Khyber Pass by Lowell Thomas. First published 1925. Some editions were titled Beyond Khyber Pass into Forbidden Afghanistan. Pdf download, Digital Library of India. Archive.org mirror version. Lowell Thomas (Wikipedia) American writer and broadcaster.
- A History Of Afghanistan by Brig-Gen Sir Percy Sykes 1940 Archive.org Volume I Volume II
- 1890 Military Routes to the Indo-Afghan Frontier by Lessar (secret)] Notes: At head of title: Secret. "From Russian official "records" of geographical, topographical and statistical materials on Asia. Collected by the Military Scientific Committee of the Headquarters Staff, 1890. Translated for the Intelligence Division of the War Office". HMSO. Author: P. M. Lessar, (Pavel Mikhailovich) Pdf download, Pahar- Mountains of Central Asia Digital Dataset.
- 1893 Routes from Russian Territory toward Afghanistan and India - the Pamir line of Advance by Robertson (confidential). Full title: Routes from Russian Territory in Central Asia towards Afghanistan and India. Section 1, The Pamir line of advance compiled in the Intelligence Branch of the Quarter Master General's Department in India by W.R. Robertson. 1893. Contents: pt. 1. Short military report on the Ferghana province, Kashgar, the Pamirs and Upper Oxus Afghan provinces ... - pt. 2. Includes all routes leading from the Chimkend Kuldja postal road to the Hindu Kush between the Dorah and the Karakorum Passes. Pdf download, Pahar- Mountains of Central Asia Digital Dataset.
- Routes in Afghanistan – South-East by General Staff 1912
- 1913 Index Map to Routes in S.E. Afghanistan by Quartermaster General, Pdf downloads, Pahar- Mountains of Central Asia Digital Dataset.
- View the FIBIS Google Books Library and click on the categories Afghanistan and Afghan Wars
- Afghanistan Old Photosafghanistan-photos.com
- Andrew Grantham’s Railways of Afghanistan
- "Prayer Rugs of the Timuri and Their Neighbors" by Robert Pittenger 1994 briefly mentions the Afghan Border Commission, including a section in the endnotes. "In 1884-85, the Afghan Border Commission was sent to the area north of Herat to delineate the Afghan-Russian border. The staff included a number of British officers, especially surveyors and intelligence officers"
- Maps of Afghanistan wdl.org
- Map: Letts's Bird's Eye View of the Approaches to India [Afghanistan] catalogued c 1920. Click on the map to enlarge. Although catalogued c 1920s, the scarlet uniforms of the soldiers suggest an earlier date, and elsewhere this map is dated 1900.
- "Letts’s Bird’s Eye View of the Approaches to India" by Anni Qu March 11, 2018. Mappenstance, University of Richmond.