68th Regiment of Foot
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- 1745 raised as the 68th Regiment of Foot by John Russell, 4th Duke of Bedford
- 1746 disbanded
- 1758 2nd Battalion, 23rd Regiment of Foot redesignated as the 68th Regiment of Foot
- 1782 became 68th (Durham) Regiment of Foot
- 1808 became 68th (Durham Light Infantry) Regiment
- 1881 amalgamated with the 106th Regiment of Foot(Bombay Light Infantry) and became the 1st Battalion The Durham Light Infantry
- 1968 amalgamated with three other county light infantry regiments to become 4th Battalion The Light Infantry
- 1969 4th Battalion (formerly Durham Light Infantry) was disbanded
- The Bugle. A Chronicle of Regimental News. May 1894-Sept. 1902 This was publication relating to the 2nd Battalion in India, available at the British Library. The Bugle recommenced again in the 1920s, but the British Library does not appear to have copies.
- The Regimental Journal of the Durham Light Infantry. (Incorporating “The Bugle.”) was published from 1934 and is available at the British Library
- 68th (Durham) Regiment of Foot (Light Infantry) Wikipedia
- The Durham Light Infantry www.lightinfantry.me.uk
- Durham Light Infantry Wikipedia
- The Light Infantry Wikipedia
- 68th (Durham) Regiment of Foot (Light Infantry) including deployments Regiments.org, an archived site.
- The Durham Light Infantry including deployments: 1st Battalion, 2nd Battalion Regiments.org, an archived site
- 68th (Durham) Regiment of Foot (Light Infantry) National Army Museum. The regiment was sent to Burma in 1857, remaining there for six years. In 1872 the regiment landed in India for the first time and was still there in 1881 [and for a further six years]
- Durham Light Infantry National Army Museum
- Durham Light Infantry Museum at Aykley Heads, Durham has now closed.
- Bibliography: Regimental and Battalion Histories, now an archived webpage from the previous Museum website. Some other archived pages may also be located.
- Durham County Record Office holds Durham Light Infantry Records
- Durham Light Infantry 1920-1946
- WW2Talk Forum thread about Enlistment and Discharge Books from 1921 onwards