Balasore-Nilgiri Light Railway

From FIBIwiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Balasore-Nilgiri Light Railway

The 'Nilgiri Granite and Stone Company Limited' constructed the Balasore-Nilgiri Light Railway. The 13 mile(21km) line ran from the Bengal-Nagpur Railway(BNR) station at Balasore to the granite quarries at Nilgiri.

The line was owned and operated by 'K M Dey & Co'. Construction work commenced in 1908 and opened in 1909. The records show that two 2ft 6in/762mm narrow gauge(NG), dated 1908, were supplied to the operation [1].

In 1913 the company was supplying ballast to the Calcutta Port Commissioners. The Goverment of Madras purchased the company and the railway in 1916 [1].

No further information has been found.

References

  1. 1.0 1.1 “Industrial Railways and Locomotives of India and South Asia” compiled by Simon Darvill. Published by ‘The Industrial Railway Society’ 2013. ISBN 978 1 901556 82-7. Available at http://irsshop.co.uk/India. Reference: Entry OR03 page ....