|Presidency: Madras (Presidency)|
|Altitude:||444 m (1,457 ft)|
|Present Day Details|
|Southern Mahratta Railway|
| See our interactive map of this location showing|
places of interest during the British period
Bellary was the headquarters of Bellary District in the Southern Division of Madras during the British period.
There was a School of Musketry located at Bellary c early 1890s.
- Photograph: Indian Mounted Infantry on a range at the School of Musketry, Bellary, 1897 National Army Museum.
Historical books online
- Plan of Bellary An Atlas of the Southern Part of India 1854 Archive.org
- Bellary Imperial Gazetteer
- List of European Tombs in the Bellary District with Inscriptions thereon compiled by J J Cotton (1894). Held on website of Barry Lewis.
- Bellary c 1818 page 74 Sketches of India by 'An Officer for Fire-Side Travellers At-Home' [Captain Moyle Sherer] 2nd edition, with additions 1824 Archive.org. The author's Wikipedia page indicates he was with the 34th Regiment of Foot.
- Bellary c 1827 page 410 The Evangelical Magazine and Missionary Chronicle 1828 Google Books
- Bellary October 1838 page 13 The Diary of Sergeant William Hall, …, late of Her Majesty’s Forty-First Regiment, containing The Incidents connected with two years campaign in Scinde and Affghanistan during the late War. c 1848 Google Books
- "Station of Bellary" page 13, Report on the Medical Topography and Statistics of the Ceded Districts: Compiled from the Records of the Medical Board Office 1844 Google Books
- Bellary page 70, The Edinburgh Medical and Surgical Journal Volume 68 1847. The cantonment was classified as one of the "Stations on the Table Lands"
- 74th Highlanders at Bellary page 277 Army Medical Department: Report for the Year 1862 Google Books
- Bellary page 421 Report of the Commissioners Appointed to Inquire into the Sanitary State of the Army in India : with Abstract of Evidence, and of Reports Received from Indian Military Stations 1864 Archive.org
- Manual of the Bellary District by John Kelsall, Madras Civil Service, Acting Sub-Collector, North Arcot 1872. Hathi Trust Digital Library
- Madras District Gazetteers: Bellary Vol-I by W Francis 1916. Pdf download, Digital Library of India.