Berhampore (Bengal Presidency)

From FIBIwiki
Jump to: navigation, search
Berhampore (Bengal Presidency)
[[Image:|250px| ]]
Presidency: Bengal
Coordinates: 24.1°N 88.25°E
Altitude: 18 m (59 ft)
Present Day Details
Place Name: Baharampur
State/Province: West Bengal
Country: India
Transport links
FibiWiki Maps
See our interactive map of this location showing
places of interest during the British period
Berhampore (Bengal Presidency)


Berhampore is situated on the Hooghly River, around 120 miles upstream of Calcutta. It was one of the early HEIC factories and a British cantonment. It was the headquarters of the Murshidabad District in the Rajshahi division of Bengal during the British period.

Spelling variants

Modern name: Baharampur
Variants: Berhampore/Berhampur/Brahmapur/Burhanpore

History

After the Battle of Plassey in June 1757, Berhampore was chosen as the site of the chief military station for Bengal and a huge square of brick barracks was erected in 1767. The town continued as a cantonment until 1870.

In one of the first acts of the Indian Mutiny, the 19th Regiment of Bengal Native Infantry mutinied here in 1857.

Military history

Mutiny at Berhampore 1857

External links

Historical books online

  • Berhampore Imperial Gazetteer
  • The cantonment at Berhampore, page 290 Army Medical Department: Report for the Year 1862 Google Books
  • Berhampore page 353 Report of the Commissioners Appointed to Inquire into the Sanitary State of the Army in India : with Abstract of Evidence, and of Reports Received from Indian Military Stations 1864 Archive.org

References