(Redirected from Bombay Presidency)
- 1850 Map of the Diocese of Bombay The Colonial Church Atlas 3rd Edition 1850. National Library of Australia Digital Collections-Maps Catalogue entry
- 1931: Bombay Presidency northern section Imperial Gazetteer
- 1931: Bombay Presidency southern section Imperial Gazetteer
- Bombay Presidency 1608-1756 Google Books
- Bombay Presidency Wikipedia
- Maharashtra State Gazetteers Department: List of Online Gazetteers Now an archived website. However, the Gazetteers still are accessible. Many are of editions available below.
Historical books online
Gazetteer of the Bombay Presidency
All volumes are from Archive.org, except Volume 7
- Volume 1, Part 1, History of Gujarat 1896
- Volume 1, Part 2, History of the Konkan, Dakhan and Southern Maratha Country 1896
- Volume 2 Gujarat, Surat and Broach 1877
- Volume 3 Kaira and Panch Mahals 1879
- Volume 4 Ahmedabad 1879
- Volume 5, Cutch, Palanpur and Mahi Kantha 1883
- Volume 6 Rewa Kantha, Narukot, Cambay and Surat States 1880
- Volume 7 Baroda 1883 is available to read online on the Digital Library of India website, in TIFF format, catalogued as "gazetteer of the bombay presidency vol. vii". Contents, computer page 8, or as pdf downloads: Pdf download 1, Archive.org mirror version, or Pdf download 2, Archive.org mirror version.
- Volume 8 Kathiawar 1884
- Volume 9 Part 1 Gujarat Population Hindus 1901
- Volume 9 Part 2 Gujarat Population Musalmans and Parsis 1899
- Volume 10 Ratnagiri and Savantvadi 1880
- Volume 11, Kolaba and Janjira 1883
- Volume 12, Khandesh 1880
- Volume 13 Thana 1882
- Volume 13, Part 2 Thana 1882
- Volume 14 Thana Places of Interest 1882
- Volume 15, Part 1, Kanara 1883
- Volume 15, Part 2, Kanara 1893
- Volume 16, Nasik 1883
- Volume 17, Ahmadnagar 1884
- Volume 18, Part 1 Poona 1885
- Volume 18, Part 2 Poona 1885
- Volume 18, Part 3, Poona 1885
- Volume 19 Satara 1885
- Volume 20, Sholapur 1884
- Volume 21 Belgaum 1884
- Volume 22 Dharwar 1884
- Volume 23 Bijapur 1884
- Volume 24 Kolhapur 1886
- Volume 25 Botany 1886
- Volume 26, Part 1 Materials towards a statistical account of the Town and Island of Bombay - History 1893
- Volume 26, Part 2 Materials towards a statistical account of the Town and Island of Bombay - Trade and Fortifications 1894
- Volume 26, Part 3 Materials towards a statistical account of the Town and Island of Bombay - Administration 1894
- Volume 27 General Index 1904
Imperial Gazetteer of India Provincial Series 1908
- Imperial Gazetteer of India Provincial Series: Bombay Presidency Vol.I, Archive.org mirror version
- Imperial Gazetteer of India Provincial Series: Bombay Presidency Vol. II, Archive.org mirror version Pdf downloads, Digital Library of India, with mirror editions Archive.org.
- A Gazetteer of the Province of Sind by AW Hughes 1876 Archive.org
- The following volumes are available to read online on the Digital Library of India website, with mirror editions on Archive.org: Gazetteer of the Province of Sind by EH Aitken 1907. Pdf download, Archive.org version. This publication contains matters of a permanent character and general interest. ('A' volume) There are also additional 'B' volumes (probably seven) containing statistical tables and matters of local interest, published in 1919 and 1926-1928. The first six are available to read online on DLI
- Volume I- Karachi District: Archive.org/DLI 1910 (perhaps 1919?), Archive.org/DLI, , Pdf download DLI 1919, different digital file; Volume II- Hyderabad District, Pdf download 1927, Archive.org version; Volume III -Sukkur District, Pdf download 1919, Archive.org version; Pdf download 1928, Archive.org version; Volume IV- Larkana District, Pdf download 1927, Archive.org version; Volume V- Nawabshah District, Pdf download 1920, Pdf download 1926, Archive.org version; Volume VI-Thar and Parkar District Pdf download 1919, Archive.org version, different file. (Not available online: B Volume VII Upper Sind Frontier District, but it is available at the British Library IOR/V/27/63/110).
- British Beginnings in Western India, 1579-1657: An account of the early days of the British factory of Surat by H.G. Rawlinson 1920 Archive.org
- The Road Book of India; or, East Indian traveller's guide through the presidencies of Bengal, Madras, and Bombay by John B Seely, Captain Bombay Army. 1825 Google Books. Contains many place names.
- Itinerary and directory for Western India, being a collection of routes through the provinces subject to the Presidency of Bombay by Captain John Clunes 1826 (archive.org)
- '"On the Statistics of Dukhun [Deccan]: Special Report on the Statistics of the four Collectorates of Dukhun, under the British Government": Poona, Ahmednuggur, Candeish or Khandesh, and Dharwar Collectorates page 217 Report of the Seventh Meeting of the British Association for the Advancement of Science 1838 Google Books. Details of plants, animals, birds etc
- Statistics of the Colonies of the British Empire from the Official Records of the Colonial Office by Robert Montgomery Martin 1839 Google Books. Book IV- Possessions in Asia "Chapter I-Hindostan" pages 273-368
- Selections from the Records of the Bombay Government.
- No III Memoir of the Zilla of Baroche 1852 HathiTrust Digital Library. This report was originally issued in 1825: Memoir of the Zilla of Baroche: Being the Result of a Revenue, Statistical, and Topographical Survey of that Collectorate under the direction of Lieutenant -Colonel Monier Williams. 1825 Google Books
- No I New Series: On the Supply of Water to Bombay 1854 Google Books
- No. V New Series: Report on the Collectorate of Ahmedabad; A short Account of the Chootas 1854 Google Books
- No XII New Series: Includes Memoir On The Mahee Kanta 1855 Google Books
- No XVII New Series: Multiple topics including Memoirs on Shikapoor; Memorandum relative to the trade in indigo, in countries bordering on the Indus; Memoirs on the River Indus; Remarks On The Plants, And Articles Of Cultivation In Sind; Notes Relative To The Population, The Chiefs, etc In That Province; The Pearl Fishery, Sea Fishery, And Salt Beds Of Sind 1855 Google Books
- No XXIII New Series: Sketches of the Native States Under The Political Agency In The Rewa Kanta 1856 Google Books
- No XXIV New Series: Historical And Other Information, Connected With The Province Of Oman, Muskat, Bahrein, And Other Places In The Persian Gulf. Etc Includes Measures Adopted By The British Government For The Suppression Of The Slave Trade In The Persian Gulf 1856 Google Books
- No XXV New Series: Historical Sketches Of, And Brief Notes Relative To, The Native States of…within the charge of the Political Superintendent Pahlunpoor 1856 Google Books
- No XXVI New Series: Rough Notes connected with various Petty States. Includes Historical Narrative of the City of Cambay... comprising a brief Sketch of the Province of Guzerat, at various periods 1856 Google Books
- No XLI New Series: Memoir on the Satara Territory 1857 Google Books
- No XLIX New Series: A History: Arabia Felix Or Yemen, From The Commencement Of The Christian Era To The Present Time; Including An Account Of The British Settlement Of Aden 1859 Google Books
- No LIV New Series: Memoir on the Thurr and Parkur districts of Sind, by Captain Stanley Napier Raikes ... 1856 .. 1859. HathiTrust Digital Library
- No XCII New Series: Papers relating to the Constitution and Functions of the Council of his Excellency the Governor of Bombay for making Laws and Regulations 1865 Google Books
- No CLXXXIV New Series: Khoti Tenure 1873 Google Books
- No CLXXXIX New Series: Account of a trip to Mount Eilo on the northern frontier of the Gadafursi country with a sketch map showing the routes by Captain J S King, Assistant Political Resident, Zaila 1886. Zaila (Zeila) is a port city in the northwestern Salal region of Somalia. Pdf download, Digital Repository of GIPE, Gokhale Institute of Politics and Economics [Pune].
- Chow-Chow; being selections from a journal kept in India, Egypt and Syria by Amelia Cary 1857 Google Books Volume I, Volume II. The author was the wife of Lord Falkland the Governor of Bombay 1848-1853
- A Handbook for India: Being an Account of the Three Presidencies, and of the Overland Route; intended as a guide for Travellers, Officers and Civilians. Part II Bombay by Edward B. Eastwick, published by John Murray 1859 Google Books
- Bradshaw's Hand-book to the Bombay Presidency and North-Western Provinces of India 1864 Google Books
- Handbook of the Bombay Presidency with an account of Bombay City by Edward B. Eastwick, published by John Murray 2nd edition, ("for the most part rewritten") 1881 Archive.org
- My Year in an Indian Fort by Mrs Guthrie published 1877 Volume I, Volume II Archive.org. The Indian Fort was at Belgaum.
- Life in Western India by Mrs Guthrie published 1881 Volume I, Volume II Archive.org
- The author is stated to be Katharine [or more accurately Katherine] Blanche Guthrie. It appears she was staying in India with her daughter Margaret and her daughter's husband, Major William Augustus Gillespie, Staff Corps, Deputy Assistant Adjutant-General (for Musketry), Belgaum.
- The following volumes are available to read online, see Directories online - The Times of India Directory
- The Times of India Calendar and Directory for 1907. Contains information for India generally. Contents, digital page 51
- The Times of India Directory of Bombay (City and Presidency) Karachi-Poona- Ahmedabad etc. 1932. Index, digital page 42
- The Times of India Directory of Bombay (City and Presidency) Karachi-Poona- Ahmedabad etc. 1935. Index, digital page 26
- The Times of India Directory of Bombay (City and Provincial) including Karachi and Hyderabad State 1939. Index, digital page 13
- Directory for the Mahi Kantha Agency , Volume 1 by F. Sorabji, 1922. Archive.org. Mahi Kantha was a political agency or collection of Princely States within the Gujarat Division of Bombay Presidency
- The Palanpur Agency Directory Volume 1 by F. Sorabji 1908. Archive.org, Digital Library of India Collection. Palanpur was one of three Political Agencies in the Northern Division of the Bombay Presidency. Contents , computer page 16.
- The Indian Official Thesaurus: Being Introductory to Annals of Indian Administration Compiled by Meredith Townsend 1858 Google Books. A guide to records.
- The Annals of Indian Administration, edited by Meredith Townsend and later George Smith. Selected extracts from the Records of the Indian, Bengal, Madras Bombay, NWP, and Punjab and perhaps other Governments. Google Books. Many additional volumes up to Volume 19 1873-74 may be viewed online on the Digital Library of India website.
- General Report on the administration of the Bombay Presidency for the Year 1875-1876 1876 Archive.org
- A Handbook to the Ports on the Coast of India between Calcutta and Bombay, including the Island of Ceylon by Herbert Samuel Brown, Lieutenant, R.N.R. Port and Customs Officer, Mangalore. 1897. British Library Digital Collection.
- Selections from the Travels and Journals Preserved in the Bombay Secretariat Contents Edited by George W. Forrest, C.I.E., ex-Director of Records, Government of India. 1906 Archive.org
- The History of Kathiawad from the Earliest Times by Capt H Wilberforce-Bell, late Political Agent, Sorath. 1916 Archive.org. Kathiawad is situated on the West of India, between the Gulfs of Kachh and Cambay
- The Bombay Land Revenue Manual 1934 Archive.org
- Monograph Series. Republished in 1976 as Art in industry through the ages: monograph series on Bombay Presidency, with this catalogue record for contents nla.gov.au.
- A Monograph On Dyes And Dyeing In The Bombay Presidency by C G H Fawcett. [Sir Charles Gordon Hill Fawcett] 1896. Uniform Title: Miscellaneous Official Publications. Pdf download, Digital Library of India. Archive.org version.
- Monograph on Woollen Fabrics of the Bombay Presidency by B A Brendon, 1899. Digital Repository of GIPE, Gokhale Institute of Politics and Economics [Pune]. Also available Archive.org, Digital Library of India Collection, however the print quality is poor.
- Monograph upon the Silk Fabrics of the Bombay Presidency by S M Edwardes, 1900. Digital Repository of GIPE
- Monograph on Tanning and working in Leather in the Bombay Presidency by J R Martin 1903. Digital Repository of GIPE
- Monograph on Stone Carving and Inlaying in the Bombay Presidency by J H E Tupper 1906. Digital Repository of GIPE
- Monograph on the art and practice of Carpet-Making in the Bombay Presidency by H J R Twigg, 1907. Digital Repository of GIPE
- Bears and Dacoits and Other Stories by G A Henty c 1901. Archive.org. Includes "Bears and Dacoits. A Tale of the Ghauts".