Scope of FIBIS' Interest
The main focus of FIBIS activities is the ‘sub-continent’ of India but we are also interested in all areas and activities of the British in South Asia including the following between the founding of the East India Company in 1599 to Indian Independence in 1947:
Historical online books
|The FIBIS Google Books Library|
has books tagged:
History of India
Some general histories available as online books. Please note the dates that these have been written in order to be aware that some of the content may be outdated or incompatible with modern sensibilities.
- Early English Adventurers in the East by Arnold Wright 1917 Archive.org
- The First Englishmen in India. Letters and Narratives of sundry Elizabethans... by J Courtenay Locke 1930 Archive.org. Part of the series The Broadway Travellers.
- A philosophical and political history of the settlements and trade of the Europeans in the East and West Indies by Abbé Guillaume-Thomas-François Raynal 1804 edition, first published in an English translation 1783 Volume 1, Volume 2 (out of 6 volumes) Google Books
- "India, or Hindostan" page 56 The New Universal Traveller: Containing a Full and Distinct Account of All the Empires, Kingdoms, and States, in the Known World by J Carver 1779 Google Books
- Transactions in India, from the commencement of the French War in seventeen hundred and fifty-six, to the conclusion of the late peace, in seventeen hundred and eighty-three: Containing a history of the British interests in Indostan, during a period of near thirty years; distinguished by two wars with France, several revolutions and treaties of alliance, the acquisition of an extensive territory, and the administration of Governor Hastings by John Moir 1786 Google Books
- British India analyzed: The provincial and revenue establishments of Tippoo Sultaun and of Mahomedan and British conquerors in Hindostan, stated and considered. In Three Parts by Charles Francis Greville 1795 Google Books
- Part 1 The Object and Principles Of The New Act; The Revenue Regulations of Tippoo Sultaun; and The Provincial Establishments Of Mahomedan Conquerors In British India
- Part 2 Provincial and Revenue Establishments Of British Conquerors
- Part 3 Deductions From The History Of Mahomedan and European Conquerors
- The View of Hindoostan. Volume I Western Hindoostan by Thomas Pennant 1798 Archive.org. Contents, Index
- The View of Hindoostan. Volume II Eastern Hindoostan Contents, Index. Part of the same Archive.org digital file. Also available Volume II Heidelberg University Library version.
- The East Indian chronologist : where the historical events respecting the East Indian Company are briefly arranged in succession from the date of their Charter in 1600, to the 4th of June 1801, with other particulars necessary to be known, as interesting to the inhabitants of India by John Hawkesworth 1801 (Calcutta) Google Books version, Archive.org version- note many pages are marked.
- The History of British India Vol 1, by James Mill (1817) Vol 2 (1708-84), Vol 3 (1784-1805) Google Books
- The History of British India 1805 to 1835 Vol 1, by Horace Hayman Wilson (1848), Vol 2 from 1813, Vol 3 from 1823 Google Books
- The History of the British Empire in India Vol 1, by Edward Thornton (1841) Vol 2, 1766-98, Vol 3, 1797-1805, Vol 4, 1805-19, Vol 5, 1823-33, Vol 6, 1833-43 2nd edition 1859 with an “entirely new and enlarged glossary", chronological index, and index Google Books
- The History of the British Empire in India...1844 to 1862: Forming a Sequel to Thornton's History of India Vol 1, by Lionel James Trotter (1866) Google Books, Vol 2 (Archive.org)
- Political and Military Events in British India: From the Years 1756 to 1849: Vol 1 (to 1814) by William Hough (1853) and Vol 2 (1814-49) Google Books
- A comprehensive History of India, civil, military and social, from the first landing of the English, to the suppression of the Sepoy revolt by Henry Beveridge 1862 editions (first published 1858) Google Books Volume 1( -1767) (Books 1, 2, 3), Volume 2 (1762 -1803) (Books 4, 5, 6), Volume 3 (1808-) (Books 7, 8,9), Index to all Volumes
- India in 1858: A Summary of the Existing Administration, Political, Fiscal, and Judicial, of British India, Together with the Laws and Public Documents Relating Thereto, from the Earliest to the Present Time by Arthur Mills 1858 Google Books
- The Administration of India from 1859-1868: the First Ten Years of Administration under the Crown by Iltudus Thomas Prichard 1869 Volume 1,Contents; Volume 2, Contents Google Books
- The Englishman in India by Charles Raikes 1867 (Google Books)
- History of India published 1906-07 (Archive.org):
- Volume 1 From the earliest times to the sixth century B.C., by R.C. Dutt.
- Volume 2 From the sixth century B.C. to the Mohammedan conquest, including the invasion of Alexander the Great, by V.A. Smith.
- Volume 3 Mediaeval India from the Mohammedan conquest to the reign of Akbar the Great, by S. Lane-Poole.
- Volume 4 From the reign of Akbar the Great to the fall of the Moghul empire, by S. Lane-Poole
- Volume 5 The Mohammedan period as described by its own historians, by Sir H.M. Elliot.
- Volume 6 From the first European settlements to the founding of the English East India company, by Sir W.W. Hunter
- Volume 7 The European struggle for Indian supremacy in the seventeenth century, by Sir W.W. Hunter.
- Volume 8 From the close of the seventeenth century to the present time, by Sir A.C. Lyall.
- Volume 9 Historic accounts of India by foreign travellers, classic, oriental, and occidental, by A.V.W. Jackson
- Dictionary of British-Indian dates: being a compendium of all the dates essential to the study of the history of British rule in India 1866 Google Books
- Slave Trade (East India). [Also] Slavery in Ceylon. Correspondence between the Directors of the East India Company and the Company's Government in India, on the subject of Slavery. Communications relating to Slavery in the Island of Ceylon. House of Commons Parliamentary Papers 31 July 1838. Google Books
- Slavery and the slave trade in British India: with notices of the existence of these evils in the islands of Ceylon, Malacca, and Penang, drawn from official documents Published 1841 Google Books
- India in 1880 by Sir Richard Temple Second Edition1881 Contents Archive.org
- The Administration of the Marquis of Lansdowne as Viceroy and Governor-general of India, 1888-1894 by George W Forrest 1894 Archive.org
- "Ancient and Modern Political Divisions" page 170 The History of India by Sir Roper Lethbridge September 1900 edition, with corrections 1898 (First edition 1875)
- The Economic History of India under early British rule, from the rise of the British power in 1757 to the accession of Queen Victoria in 1837 by Romesh Dutt 6th edition 1920 Archive.org. First published c 1902.
- The Economic History of India in the Victorian Age: From the Accession of Queen Victoria in 1837.... Original title was India in the Victorian Age; an Economic History of the People 1904 edition, 3rd edition 1908 Archive.org.
- The Empire of India by Sir Bampfylde Fuller, Indian Civil Service (retired) 1913 Archive.org. 2nd digital file, better text, poorer photographs Archive.org
- A New Geography Of The Indian Empire And Ceylon by Cameron Morrison. 3rd edition, revised and enlarged 1915, (first published 1906). Archive.org, Digital Library of India Collection. Additional digital files available Archive.org
- Provincial Geographies of India 1913-23.
- [Volume 1] The Panjab, North-West Frontier Province and Kashmir by Sir James Douie 1916. [Volume 2] Bengal, Bihar and Orissa, Sikkim by L S S O’Malley 1917. [Volume 3] The Madras Presidency with Mysore, Coorg and the Associated States by Edgar Thurston 1913. [Volume 4] Burma by Sir Herbert Thirkell White 1923 Archive.org
- England's Debt to India: a Historical Narrative of Britain's Fiscal Policy in India by Lajpat Rai 1917 Archive.org
- British India from Queen Elizabeth to Lord Reading by an Indian Mahomedan 1926 Archive.org. Catalogued as British India
- The Rt. Hon. Mr. E. S. Montagu on Indian Affairs, published 1917. Archive.org. Mr Montagu was Secretary of State for India, in Britain. Includes the Indian Budgets 1910-1913 and Mr Montagu’s views of the inefficiencies of the structure of Indian Government, as revealed by the Mesopotamian Commission.
- Sedition Committee 1918 Report Superintendent Government Printing, Calcutta. 1918. Archive.org. There was also a Secret Edition ref: IOR/V/26/262/1 British Library. One of the aims of the Committee was to “investigate and report on the nature and extent of the criminal conspiracies connected with the revolutionary movement in India.”
- Histories Of The Non-Co-Operation And Khilafat Movements by P C Bamford 1925. Pdf download, KrishiKosh: An Institutional Repository of Indian National Agricultural Research System. Also available on Archive.org Digital Library of India Collection
- Statistical Abstract relating to British India HMSO . A broken range of various editions covering the period 1840 to 1920. dsal.uchicago.edu.
- The Indian Year Book. A Statistical and Historical Annual of the Indian Empire. With an explanation of the principal topics of the day. First issued 1914. Edited by Sir Stanley Reed. 1919: Sixth year of issue Contents, Index; 1920, Contents, Index Archive.org. The Indian Year Book: Pdf downloads, Digital Library of India, filtered to show author Reed. Archive.org versions, author Reed There may be additional volumes showing other authors, or no author.
- India in 19**-19**: A statement prepared for presentation to Parliament, at least some editions by L F Rushbrook Williams. Government of India Central Publication Branch
- Report on the Administration of India for the year 1916-17 Pdf download Digital Repository of GIPE-Gokhale Institute of Politics and Economics [Pune India].
- India in 1922-23 (1923), Contents, Index; India in 1923-24 (1924), Contents, Index; India in 1925-26 (1926) Contents, Index; India in 1930-1931 (1932), Contents, Index.
- The following books on Archive.org may require either a DjVu or Torrent (BitTorrent) plug-in: India in 1917-18; India in 1934-35
- The following are available as pdf downloads, Digital Library of India, with mirror versions on Archive.org: 1917-18, Archive.org 1917-18; 1919, Archive.org 1919; 1920, Archive.org 1920; 1921-22; Archive.org 1921-22; 1924-25, Archive.org 1924-25, 1926-27, Archive.org 1926-27; 1927-28, Archive.org 1927-28; 1928-29, Archive.org 1928-29; 1929-30, Archive.org 1929-30; 1931-32, Archive.org 1931-32; 1932-33, Archive.org 1932-33; 1933-34, Archive.org 1933-34; 1934-35, Archive.org 1934-35. Additional files are also available for these years.
- The Indian Recorder was intended to be a reference book for the period. Archive.org, including Digital Library of India Collection.
- Indian Annual Register and Indian Quarterly Register. 1923 title is Indian Annual Register: Being an Annual Chronicle and Digest of Public Affairs of India in Matters Political, Educational, Economic, etc. Editions available on Archive.org. Editions available on Digital Repository of GIPE as pdf downloads Gokhale Institute of Politics and Economics [Pune]. Broken range 1919-1947.
- The Political System Of British India by E.A. Horne 1922 Archive.org.
- Report Of The Administration Of Lord Reading Viceroy And Governor General Of India (1921-1926) by J Coatman 1927. Archive.org version.
- Years Of Destiny India 1926-1932 by J C Coatman 1932. Reprinted in 1985 as India The Years Of Struggle For Freedom. Archive.org version
- The Indian Riddle by John Coatman 1932. Archive.org version. Full title: The Indian Riddle: a Solution Suggested
- India The Road To Self Government by John Coatman 1942. Archive.org version. Initial links are pdf downloads, Digital Library of India.
- Must England lose India? [The Nemesis of Empire] by Lieutenant-Colonel Arthur Osburn 3rd edition December 1930 (first published May 1930]. Archive.org, Digital Library of India Collection. Archive.org Lending Library edition possibly better print quality. This book was banned in India. The author had been in the RAMC.
- Turmoil & Tragedy in India 1914 and After by Lt Gen Sir George MacMunn 1935. Pdf download, Digital Library of India. Archive.org version.
- The White Sahibs in India by Reginald Reynolds 1937. Full title : The White Sahibs in India. An examination of British rule in India. Pdf download, Digital Library of India. Archive.org version.
- Budget For 1941-1942 Archive.org
- The British In India by Sir Percival J Griffiths 1946. Pdf download, Digital Library of India. 1526463 Archive.org version.
- The British In Asia by Guy Wint 1947 Archive.org
- India and the Passing of Empire by Sir George Dunbar 1951. Pdf download, Digital Library of India. Archive.org version.
- The British Impact on India by Sir Percival J Griffiths 1952. Pdf download, Digital Library of India. Archive.org version.
- The Men Who Ruled India, published in three volumes, The Founders (1953), Archive.org version; The Guardians, Volume I, Archive.org version; and The Guardians, Volume lI, Archive.org version (1954) by Philip Woodruff (pseudonym). Initial links are available as pdf downloads on the Digital Library of India. The author was Philip Mason who joined the Indian Civil Service in 1928.
- The Last Years Of British India by Michael Edwardes 1963 Archive.org. Also available on the Digital Library of India as pdf downloads (multiple files) including Pdf download 1, Archive.org version; and Pdf download 2