The Governor-General of India was the head of the administration in British India. Between 1858 and 1947 the position was titled Viceroy and Governor-General of India.
History of the position
- 1773 The office of Governor-General of the Presidency of Fort William was created. The holder administered Fort William and supervised the East India Company officials in India.
- 1833 The newly designated Governor-General of India was granted authority over all of British India.
- 1858 After the Indian Mutiny the Crown took control of India and the Governor-General was the head of the government in India. To reflect his further role as the monarch's representative to the Princely states, the office was retitled Viceroy and Governor-General of India.
- 1947 The Governor-General was kept after Independence until India and Pakistan became republics in the 1950s, although the term Viceroy was abandoned.
See Category:Governors-General of India as well as a full list on Wikipedia (link below).
|The FIBIS Google Books Library|
has books tagged:
Governors General Government
- Governor-General of India Wikipedia
Historical books online
- 'Up the country': letters written to her sister from the upper provinces of India by Hon. Emily Eden 2nd Edition 1867 (contains what in some editions are 2 separate volumes) Google Books
- Letters From India Vol-I and Letters From India Vol-II by Hon Emily Eden 1872 Archive.org
- Golden Interlude: The Edens In India 1836-1842 by Janet Dunbar (1956) recounts the experiences of Governor-General George Eden and his sisters during their time in India. Archive.org
- Life of the Marquis of Dalhousie by Captain L. J. Trotter. 1889 Archive.org. A book in the Statesmen series (1848-1856)
- Earl Canning by Sir H S Cunningham 1891 Archive.org. A book in the series Rulers of India. (1856-1862)
- Lord Lawrence by Sir Charles Aitchison, formerly Lieutenant -Governor of the Punjab. 1892 Archive.org. A book in the series Rulers of India (1864-1869)
- A Life of the Earl of Mayo, Fourth Viceroy of India by W W Hunter 2nd edition 1876 Archive.org Volume I, Volume II
- The Earl of Mayo by Sir William Wilson Hunter 1892 Archive.org. A book in the series Rulers of India (1869-1872)
- Our Viceregal Life in India: Selections from my Journal, 1884-1888 by the Marchioness of Dufferin and Ava 1890. Volume I, Volume II Archive.org (The Earl of Dufferin was Viceroy 13 December 1884 - 10 December 1888)
- The Administration of the Marquis of Lansdowne as Viceroy and Governor-general of India, 1888-1894 by George W Forrest 1894 Archive.org
- Private Secretary to the Marquess of Lansdowne, Viceroy of India [from 1888] page 233 The life of Major-General Sir John Ardagh, by his wife Susan, Countess of Malmesbury (Lady Ardagh) 1908 HathiTrust Digital Library.
- Speeches of Lord Curzon of Kedleston, Viceroy and Governor General of India [Volume I]: 1898-1901, Volume II: 1900-1902 Archive.org. Lord Curzon was in this position 1899-1905.
- Lord Curzon in India, 1898-1903 by H Caldwell Lipsett 1903 Archive.org
- The Failure Of Lord Curzon 1903. Pdf download, Digital Library of India. Archive.org version. Full title : The Failure of Lord Curzon. A study in “Imperialism.” An open letter to the Earl of Rosebery by “Twenty-eight years in India” [elsewhere stated to be Charles J. O'Donnell].
- India under Curzon & after by Lovat Fraser 1911 Archive.org
- British Government In India: The Story of the Viceroys and Government Houses by the Marquis Curzon of Kedleston, K.G. , Viceroy and Governor General of India, Jan.1899-May 1904, and Dec. 1904-Nov.1905. 1925 Archive.org Volume One, Volume Two Archive.org
- Lord Minto, A Memoir John Buchan 1924. Gutenberg.net.au. Also available as a pdf download Digital Library of India. Archive.org mirror version. Lord Minto was Viceroy from 1905
- India, Minto and Morley 1905-1910 compiled by Mary, Countess of Minto, published 1934. Hathi Trust Digital Library. It is also available as a pdf download Digital Library of India. Archive.org version.
- India Under Morley And Minto by M N Das 1957. Pdf download Digital Library of India. Archive.org version. Full title: India under Morley and Minto. Politics behind revolution, repression and reforms.
- My Indian Years 1910-1916 by Lord Hardinge 1948. Pdf download Digital Library of India. Archive.org version. Also available to read online on Academy of the Punjab in North America (Lord Hardinge was Viceroy 23 November 1910- 4 April 1916)
- Halifax: The Life Of Lord Halifax by the Earl of Birkenhead 1965. Archive.org. Digital Library of India Collection. Edward Wood, 1st Earl of Halifax(Wikipedia), styled Lord Irwin from 1925 until 1934 and Viscount Halifax from 1934 until 1944, was Viceroy of India for 5 years from 1926 (appointed 1925).
- Lord Willingdon In India by Victor Trench 1934. Pdf download, Digital Library of India. Archive.org version. Author’s name is a pseudonym (Freeman Freeman Thomas, Marquis of Willingdon) who was Viceroy 18 April 1931-18 April 1936.
- The Viceroy at Bay: Lord Linlithgow in India 1936-1943 by John Glendevon 1971 Archive.org
- Wavell: The Viceroy’s Journal, edited by Penderel Moon. 1973 Archive.org. Lord Wavell was Viceroy October 1943 to March 1947.
- Mission With Mountbatten by Alan Campbell-Johnson 1951 Archive.org. “Specially revised and abridged by the author for Indian readers”. The author was Press Attache to Mountbatten when he was Viceroy.
- Freedom At Midnight by Larry Collins and Dominique Lapierre c 1975 Pdf download, Digital Library of India. Archive.org version. The events in India in 1947
- Mountbatten And The Partition Of India by Larry Collins and Dominique Lapierre 1960 Pdf download Digital Library of India. Archive.org version. Publication date elsewhere is given as 1982. Also available to read online on Academy of the Punjab in North America.
- Mountbatten And Independent India by Larry Collins and Dominique Laouerre 1960 Pdf download Digital Library of India. Archive.org version. Publication date elsewhere is given as 1982.
- Last Viceroy : the life and times of Rear-Admiral, the Earl Mountbatten of Burma by Ray Murphy 1949, first published 1948. Archive.org, Public Library of India Collection.
- Lord Mountbatten : the Last Viceroy by David Butler 1986. Archive.org Lending Library
- Divide and Quit by Penderel Moon c 1961 Archive.org. Contains references to Mountbatten.