M M Kaye
Mary Margaret ('Mollie') Kaye (21 August 1908 – 29 January 2004)
M M Kaye was born in Simla and spent most of the years prior to Independence in India. She had published a number of books with little success when she produced The Far Pavilions in 1978. The book (described by one critic as "the Gone With The Wind of the North-West Frontier") sold more than 15 million copies and was adapted for television
In 1957 she had published Shadow of the Moon, her first historical novel, which was set during the Indian Mutiny, with a wealth of accurate detail. However, it was savagely cut by the publisher, leaving it as little more than a romance. In 1979, following the success of The Far Pavilion, Shadow of the Moon was among a number of her books to be re-published. It was restored to its full length, and sold well.
Her three volume autobiography, with series title Share of Summer was published during the 1990s and covers the period until c 1941, when she met her future husband.
She also wrote a number of murder mysteries.
- M. M. Kaye Wikipedia
- M. M. Kaye mmkaye.com
- Obituary: The Telegraph 31 January 2004.
- Father of M M Kaye. Cecil Kaye Wikipedia. Entry from Who Was Who, Volume III page 734. Archive.org. See British India for his book Communism in India, published 1925.
Historical books online
- The Far Pavilions 1978 Archive.org
- Shadow of the Moon by M.M. Kaye 1980 2nd file Archive.org Lending Library.
- Trade Wind, set in 1859 Zanzibar, first published 1963 and subsequently expanded in 1981. Archive.org Lending Library
- The Sun in the Morning : My Early years in India and England by M M Kaye 1990. Archive.org Lending Library
- Golden Afternoon 1997. Not available online, but available at the British Library UIN: BLL01011311123
- Enchanted Evening by M M Kaye 2000 Archive.org Lending Library
- Murder mysteries
- Death Walked In Kashmir by M M Kaye 1953. Archive.org. Public Library of India Collection. An edition published in 1984 under the title Death in Kashmir is available from the Archive.org Lending Library
- Death in the Andamans by M M Kaye 1985 Archive.org Lending Library. Originally published as Night on the Island 1960.
- Additional titles are available online at Archive.org.
- Based on information in The Telegraph obituary, refer above.