Books online containing strong Biographical Interest
This page to be regarded work in progress….. designed to provide a quick search into some standard “first stop” sources for biographical information.
- East India Registers and other directories This is an internal link to lists of available online searchable directories.
- Also a collective search of the above directories available in full view at googlebooks can be made via the Fibis Library
- Dictionary of Indian Biography by C E Buckland, published 1906. archive.org See review in Biographies Reading List
- The Indian Biographical Dictionary 1915. Edited by C. Hayavadana Rao Archive.org
See also : Indian Civil Service for further information and titles.
- Record of services of the Honourable East India Company's civil servants in the Madras presidency, from 1741 to 1858. by Charles Campbell Prinsep. Archive.org
- Alphabetical List of the honourable East India Company’s Bengal Civil Servants from the year 1780 to the year 1838 by Dodwell & Miles googlebooks.com
- Classified list of forest officers of the Imperial and Provincial services in India and Burma on 1st January 1916 Archive.org
East India Company Army
- Alphabetical list of the officers of the Bengal army; with the dates of their respective promotion, retirement, resignation, or death from 1760 to 1834 inclusive, by Dodwell & Miles Archive.org
- Alphabetical list of the officers of the Madras army; with the dates of their respective promotion, retirement, resignation, or death from 1760 to 1834 inclusive, by Edward Dodwell Archive.org
- Military periodicals online Fibiwiki page linking to full view editions of annual Army lists. Also refer toMilitary reading list for background to these annual publications
- Alphabetical List of the Medical Officers of the Indian Army 17864-1838 by Dodwell and Milesgooglebooks.com
- Roll of Commissioned Officers in the Medical Service of the British Army 20 June 1727 to 23 June 1898 by Colonel William Johnston CB archive.org
- Return of East India Company Pensions payable in Europe pub 1822 Gives name of each recipient with details of office held and reason for payment of pension.
See also Cemeteries for further information and links
- List of Inscriptions on Christian Tombs and Tablets of Historical Interest in the United Provinces of Agra and Oudh by Sir Edward Arthur Henry Blunt (1911) Archive.org
- The Bengal Obituary: or, a record to perpetuate the memory of departed worth, being a compilation of tablets and monumental inscriptions from various parts of the Bengal and Agra presidencies 1851 Google Books
- The Complete Monumental Register: Containing All the Epitaphs in the Different Churches and Burial Grounds in and about Calcutta by M Derozario 1815 Google Books