Military periodicals online
Also see Directories online for some Army Lists.
- 1 Air Force List
- 2 Aldershot Military Gazette
- 3 Army Medical Department Report
- 4 Army and Navy Gazette
- 5 Army Regulations, Equipment, Manuals etc
- 6 The British Indian Military Repository
- 7 Broad Arrow
- 8 Journal of the Royal United Service Institution
- 9 Journal of the United Service Institution of India, or USI Journal
- 10 Illustrated Naval and Military Magazine
- 11 Indian Army List
- 12 Indian Army Orders/Instructions
- 13 Naval & Military Gazette
- 14 Navy & Army Illustrated
- 15 Navy List
- 16 Navy Regulations
- 17 Report on the Health of the Navy
- 18 New Annual Army List
- 19 New Army List
- 20 Quarterly Army List
- 21 Monthly Army List
- 22 Minutes of Proceedings of the Royal Artillery Institution
- 23 The United Service Journal and Naval and Military Magazine
- 24 References
Air Force List
Online Air Force Lists, in respect of the Royal Air Force, from the collection of the National Library of Scotland on Archive.org
The Lists were initially published on a monthly basis. Currently available (at April 2012) are
February 1919, Contents March 1919, Contents April 1919, Contents May 1919 , Contents June 1919, Contents July 1919, Contents August 1919, Contents September 1919 Contents October 1919, Contents November 1919, Contents December 1919, Contents
- 1938 January-September, November, December
- 1939 January-August, October-December
- 1940 February-June, August, October, December
- 1941-1943 January, March, May, July, September, November
- 1944 January, March, May, July, October
- 1945 January, April, July.
The above are also available on the website of the of the NLS as Air Force Lists: 1919 and 1938-1945 with transcriptions available, together with a Search facility.
Aldershot Military Gazette
Commenced as The Aldershot Military Gazette with later titles Sheldrake's Aldershot Military Gazette; Sheldrakes's Aldershot and Sandhurst Military Gazette; Aldershot Gazette and Military News. This publication is available on findmypast, category "Newspapers & periodicals", with the same contents also available on the British Newspaper Archive, both pay websites. The date range is 13 August 1859 to 27 December 1890 and additionally 04 January 1918 to 29 November 1918, with details on a BNA page. It is possible to browse individual editions on BNA, in addition to searching. To browse the findmypast editions, use the filters under "Narrow your search results" (left hand side of the webpage) "By Newspaper" and "By Date".
The "Stations of the British Army" were published every month or so, seen on page 7 (of 8) in one edition.
Army Medical Department Report
- Report of the Committee on the Preparation of Army Medical Statistics, and on the Duties To Be Performed by the Statistical Branch of the Army Medical Department 1861 Google Books
- Army Medical Department: Report for the Year... Earlier title Army Medical Department: Statistical Sanitary and Medical Reports for the year... Section: "On The Health of the Troops Serving in India". Year of publication in brackets. Appears to be only in respect of troops in garrisons and to exclude troops in military actions. Earlier volumes Google Books and later volumes Hathi Trust Digital Library and Archive.org
- This publication also appears to be available from the online database U.K. Parliamentary Papers. For more details, see Subscription websites-online newspapers, journals and directories.
Army and Navy Gazette. Full title: Army and Navy Gazette : journal of the militia and volunteer forces. This publication is available on findmypast, category "Newspapers & periodicals", with the same contents also available on the British Newspaper Archive, both pay websites. The date range is Saturday 07 January 1860 to Saturday 31 December 1921, with issues 1860-1871, 1884-1918, 1920-1921, with details on a BNA page. It is possible to browse individual editions on BNA, in addition to searching. To browse the findmypast editions, use the filters under "Narrow your search results" (left hand side of the webpage) "By Newspaper" and "By Date".
Army Regulations, Equipment, Manuals etc
Collections of Army publications
- Digital Collection: author War Office, Great Britain State Library of Victoria. 396 digital files in SLV's collection "War Pamphlets". Includes Handbooks, Manuals, Regulations etc
- War Office Great Britain publications on the Hathi Trust Digital Library linked on a webpage from the Library of University of Pennsylvania
- Australian Army website: Our history/Primary materials/ Manuals etc. Includes both British Army and Australian Army publications.
- Books on Archive.org with any field given by the uploader as "Great Britain. War Office". Include some Manuals.
- The website of Vickers MG Collection and Research Association includes online Manuals, Handbooks etc., relating to mainly to machine guns and tanks, but also including other subjects, from c 1908. There is a drop down menu from "Manuals" at the top of the webpage.
Admission to the Royal Military College, Sandhurst
- "Regulations respecting admission to the Royal Military College, Sandhurst 1899" page 274 Annals of Sandhurst : a chronicle of the Royal Military College from its foundation to the present day, with a sketch of the history of the Staff College by Major A F Mockler-Ferryman 1900 Archive.org
- Regulations for the Supply of Clothing and Necessaries to the Regular Forces:Revised Army Regulations-Vol. Xi War Office 1881 Archive.org
- Regulations for the Clothing of the Army. Part I.-Regular Forces. Excluding the Special Reserve War Office, 1914. HMSO (A C D Clothing Regs 1079). British Library Digital Collection.
- Regulations for the Clothing of the Army. Part II.-Special Reserve War Office, 1914. HMSO (A C D Clothing Regs 1087). British Library Digital Collection.
- Regulations for the Dress of General, Staff and Regimental Officers of the Army 1864 Google Books
- Dress Regulations for the Officers of the Army (including the Militia) 1904 War Office, HMSO. HathiTrust Digital Library. Index and Illustrations Plates 1-58 (at rear of book).
- Dress Regulations for the Army 1911 War Office HMSO. Index followed by Plates. British Library Digital Collection.
- "Warrant regulating the grant of pension, allowance, and relief to soldiers, on their discaharge from the Army, dated 7th February, 1833" page 126 The United Service Journal 1833, Part II. Hathi Trust Digital Library
- Royal warrant and regulations regarding army services: and Explanatory directions for the information and guidance of paymasters and others 1st July 1848 Google Books
- "Pensions for Discharged Soldiers", page 211
- Royal Warrants, Circulars, General Orders, and Memoranda, issued by the War Office and Horse Guards, August 1856- July 1864 by Brevet Major J M Bannatyne 1864 Google Books.
- The Queen's Regulations and Orders for the Army 1 July 1844 3rd edition Google Books; 1 December 1859 Archive.org; 1 January 1868, Volume II including "Discharge of Soldiers", page 287 Google Books; 1 July 1899 Archive.org; Part I October 1889 Hathi Trust. Part II 1889 (scroll to entry) Australian Army website.
- Revised Army Regulations Volume 1: Royal Warrant for the Pay and Promotion, Non-effective Pay, and Allowances of Her Majesty's British Forces serving elsewhere than in India dated 27 December 1870 HMSO Google Books
- Army Regulations: Army Circulars. Based on Circulars 1868-1882 issued by Order of the Secretary of State for War. HMSO, London. 1883 Archive.org.
- The King's Regulations and Orders for the Army London : H.M.S.O., 1908. HathiTrust Digital Library
- Note: Enlistment is not covered. There is a separate publication Regulations for Recruiting for the Regular Army, Militia, and Imperial Yeomanry, etc. 1907. (series Regulations and Orders. II. Regulations and Treatises on Special Subjects. Recruiting) available at the British Library UIN: BLL01001094373
- The King's Regulations and Orders for the Army. 1912; Reprinted with Amendments published in Army Orders up to 1st August, 1914 HMSO 1914 HathiTrust Digital Library.
- Various amendments and reprints of amendments to the King's Regulations published between 1916 and 1921. British Library Digital Collection. Click on “View the catalogue record” for more details.
- The King's Regulations for the Army and the Army Reserve 1935 rlcarchive.org. If this link is not permanent, from the Home page, hover your mouse over Home on the toolbar, and select free resources/King's Regs 1935. Note: to browse pages, it only seems possible to click "Next" on the toolbar, or "Back to results" near the toolbar, which returns you to the chapter headings. It does not seem possible to select a specific page to browse, although it is possible to search for a specific paragraph.
- Other editions, and later amendments, not available online, were published in 1923; 1928; 1928 Amendments (available TNA RG 48/3244); 1935 Amendments (British Library UIN: BLL01001093517); 1940 (BL UIN: BLL01001093519) and 1940 Amendments (BL UIN: BLL01001093520). 1923 edition was "Issued with Army Orders for September 1923," so possibly this edition, and also others, may be found in TNA series of records WO 123 Army Orders. Imperial War Museums holds 1923, 1928 and other editions (catalogue reference LBY S. 6 / 302). There were also various editions of Regulations for the Territorial Force including a 1915 edition (BL UIN: BLL01001097720), and National Archives records, part of WO 279. Oxford University Library holds a series of the earlier Regulations for the Volunteer Force, for editions 1863 to 1904, catalogue entry, including an online 1878 (but catalogued as 1863) edition.
- Field Service Regulations. Part I, Operations 1909 (Reprinted with Amendments 1912) HMSO. Archive.org.
- Field Service Regulations Part II. Organisation and Administration 1909 (Reprinted with Amendments 1913) Archive.org
- Field Service Regulations Volume II: Operations - General 1935 Archive.org. Select the one page option if viewing online.
- Manual of Military Law, War Office publication. 1907 edition Archive.org. 1914 edition [reprinted 1917] HMSO 1914, reprinted 1917. HathiTrust Digital Library.
- Three unrelated publications in one digital book. HMSO. Archive.org
- Manual of Military Cooking 1910. Reprinted 1914.
- Financial Instructions in relation to Army Accounts 1910, with amendments to 1st September 1914, Contents, Index
- Regulations for the Allowances of the Army 1914, Contents, Index
- Regulations for the issue of army separation allowance, allotments of pay, and family allowance, during the present war, 1918 War Office. State Library of Victoria.
- A possible online source for the government publications is the subscription website UK Parliamentary Papers. See Subscription websites-online newspapers, journals and directories for details and suggested access. Your Library needs to have subscribed for the module for the relevant period of publication.
Medical Department/Army Medical Services
- Regulations for the Medical Department of Her Majesty's Army
- Regulations for Army Medical Services HMSO.
- 1890 Part I. Includes Medical Staff; 1890 (updated from 1889 edition) Part II Manual for the Medical Staff Corps. 1894. Archive.org
- Manual for Army Medical Services by William E Riordan, Surgeon Major Medical Staff 1890 Archive.org
- Manual for the Royal Army Medical Corps 1904 War Office HMSO Archive.org.
- Royal Army Medical Corps Training 1911 War Office HMSO.
- Royal Army Medical Corps training, 1911. Reprinted 1915 War Office. HMSO. HathiTrust Digital Library. Archive.org version.
- Field Service Manual, 1913 : Army Medical Service (Expeditionary Force). Reprint. Includes 1914 War Establishments. Archive.org. Although reprinted in Melbourne [Australia], this appears to be a reprint of a War Office, British Government publication.
- Army Equipment by various Topographical Staff, War Office Google Books
- Part I: Equipment of Cavalry by Lieutenant HM Hozier 2nd Life Guards 1864
- Part II: Equipment of Artillery by Major Miller RA c 1864
- Part III-Section 1 Engineers : Equipment of a Company of Engineers by Lieut-Colonel A. C. Cooke RE 1866
- Part IV: Equipment of Military Train by Lieutenant HM Hozier 2nd Life Guards c 1865
- Part V: Equipment of Infantry by Captain Martin Petrie 1864
- Part VI: Equipment of Commissariat Staff Corps by Lieutenant HM Hozier 2nd Life Guards c 1864
- Part VII :Hospital Equipment for a Battalion of Infantry, Regiment of Cavalry, Battery of Artillery, and a Company of Engineers by Captain Martin Petrie, c 1866
- The Soldier's Pocket Guide to Shooting by W G Underhill 1878 Archive.org.
- Instructions for Armourers in the Care, Repair, Browning, etc, of Small-arms , Bayonet and Sword Scabbards, Machine Guns, and "Parapet" Carriages. HMSO 1897. rifleman.org.uk
- Instructions for Armourers ... 1912. Reprinted with amendments, 1916. 40/W.O./2796 War Office HMSO 1916. British Library Digital Collection.
- Handbook on Military Bicycles, 1911. Reprinted with Amendments, 1914. War Office publication, printed under the authority of HMSO. British Library Digital Collection.
- Military Sketching, Map Reading and Reconnaissance, by Lieut-Col. A F Mockler-Ferryman, 2nd edition 1911. HathiTrust Digital Library
- Manual of Map Reading and Field Sketching 1912 (scroll to entry) Reprinted with additions 1914 by General Staff –War Office. HMSO, London. The book file contains, at the front, and at the back, a catalogue of all HMSO Military Books then available. Website of Australian Army.
- Field Service Pocket Book, 1911 HMSO. Link to a pdf download, STOU Digital Repository Sukhothai Thammathirat Open University, Thailand. Note, this website has been noticed to be unavailable at times, possibly it may only be accessible during "office hours".
- Field Service Pocket Book, 1914 40/W.O./1852 General Staff, War Office HMSO. Archive.org
- Camel Corps Training. Provisional. 1913 London, HMSO 1913. British Library Digital Collection. With illustrations, which may be rotated if required.
- Trumpet and bugle sounds for the army: with instructions for the training of trumpeters and buglers HMSO 1914 Archive.org
- Trumpet calls. Royal Air Force. 1919 State Library of Victoria.
- Veterinary Manual (War), 1915 War Office. State Library of Victoria.
- Animal Management 1908, printed 1916 HMSO. Link to a pdf download, STOU Digital Repository Sukhothai Thammathirat Open University, Thailand. Note, this website has been noticed to be unavailable at times, possibly it may only be accessible during "office hours".
- Catechism of Animal Management, etc. 40/W.O./2466 War Office HMSO London, 1916. British Library Digital Collection.
- Imperial Army Series based on Official Manuals edited by Captain E J Solarno 1913-1918 Archive.org including
- Camps, Billets, Cooking American edition 
- Field Entrenchments 1916
- Field Training-Signalling American edition 1918
- Musketry 1915
- Pigeon Service Manual (Royal Air Force) Air Ministry publication HMSO 1919. British Library Digital Collection.
- Manual of Field Works (All Arms) 1921 (Provisional) (Issued with Army Orders November 1921) HMSO 1921. Link to two pdf downloads Combined Arms Research Library [CARL] Digital Library Fort Leavenworth, Kansas. Click through to Part 2. Part 1 is also available on scribd.com
- Manual of Field Works (All Arms) 1925. (Issued with Army Orders for December 1925) HMSO 1925. HathiTrust Digital Library. Pages are rotatable. Calcutta 1926 reprint Archive.org. At times poor quality print and digital filming.
- Also see Collections of Army publications above. As an example, the Australian Army website includes publications such as Veterinary Manual for War 1923 and Army Manual of Hygiene and Sanitation 1934. The latter although published in Australia, was a reprint of a HMSO British Army publication.
- Standing Orders of the East India Company's Depot 1852 Google Books.
- Standing Orders of the Thirty Fifth Royal Sussex Regiment 1852 Google Books.
- Standing orders: 95th, the Derbyshire Regiment 1856 Google Books.
- Standing Orders, Dress Regulations, and Trumpet and Bugle Sounds, for the Royal Regiment of Artillery 1864 Google Books. Includes
- "Marriage, and Soldiers' Wives", page 53
- Standing Orders for Inspectors of Army Schools, Examiners and Teachers. 1906. HathiTrust Digital Library.
- Standing orders, 1909 Royal Military College, Sandhurst State Library of Victoria.
Details of many Army Forms may be found in two Great War Forum topics, "List of Army Forms" and "army form scans was A R M Y F O R M database." 
The British Indian Military Repository
All volumes are from Google Books
|Volume and Year||Contents||Contents||Contents|
|Volume 1, 1822||Part 1||Part 2|
|Volume 2, 1823||Part 1||Part 2|
|Volume 3, 1824||Part 1||Part 2|
|Volume 4, 1826||Part 1||Part 2||Part 3|
|Volume 5, 1827||Part 1||Unindexed pages139-255||Part 3|
The title varied over time and included The Broad Arrow. A paper for the Services and The Broad Arrow. The Naval and Military Gazette, the latter title probably from 1886, when The Naval and Military Gazette ceased publication. The British Library holds issues 1 July 1868-25 Dec.1869; 7 Jan.1871-18 April 1917 UIN: BLL01013899944
This publication is available on findmypast, category "Newspapers & periodicals", with the same contents also available on the British Newspaper Archive, both pay websites. The date range is 01 July 1868 to 29 December 1877 and additionally, 02 January 1914 to 18 April 1917 with details on a BNA page, It is possible to browse individual editions on BNA, in addition to searching. To browse the findmypast editions, use the filters under "Narrow your search results" (left hand side of the webpage) "By Newspaper" and "By Date".
Journal of the Royal United Service Institution
A London publication which generally contained a few articles about India in each edition.
The journals below are from the Google Books, Archive.org and Hathi Trust Digital Library websites.
This journal later changed its name to the Journal of the Royal United Services Institute and some of the journals below may have been catalogued by the online websites under this latter name
Journal of the United Service Institution of India, or USI Journal
A Journal has been published since 1871. The following indexes (pdfs) are available from usiofindia.org : Index Part 1: 1871-1921, Index Part 2: 1922-1970. The Journals are available at the British Library from 1883 (Volume 12).
- Volume 15, 1887 , in four parts Contents No 66, No 67 commences page 109 but no contents page, Contents No 68, Contents No 69; Vol. 21, 1892, Contents Note: Some sections, pages 352-478, are missing; Vol. 22, 1893-No Contents page;
- Vol. 30, 1901, Contents; Vol. 39, 1910, Contents; Vol. 40, 1911, Contents; Vol. 44, 1915-No Contents page;
- Vol. 62, 1932, Contents; Vol. 63, 1933. Contents; Vol. 64, 1934, Contents; Vol. 65, 1935, Contents; Vol. 66, 1936, Contents; Vol. 68, 1938, Contents; Vol. 69, 1939. Contents;
- Vol. 70, 1940, Contents; Vol. 71, 1941, Contents; Vol. 72, 1942, Contents; Vol. 75, 1945, Contents; Vol. 77, 1947, Contents, 4 Separate pages; Vol. 78, 1948, Contents.
- All from Archive.org, many from the Public Library of India Collection
Full title: The Illustrated Naval and Military Magazine: A Monthly Journal devoted to all subjects connected with Her Majesty’s Land and Sea Forces. Published July 1884-1890.
Volume 2, 1885; Catalogued 1887- believed to be Vol. 7; Vol. 8, 1888. These volume are for a six months period,
New Series Vol. 1, 1889, New Series Vol. 2, 1889; New Series Vol. 3, 1889; New Series Vol. 4, 1890; New Series Vol. 6 1890. Archive.org
HathiTrust Digital Library A and B available in North America etc
Indian Army List
Indian Army Orders/Instructions
Indian Army Orders
- Indian Army Orders. Include Appointments, Promotions, Long Service Medals etc. Pdf downloads, Digital Library of India. Based on catalogue details unless otherwise specified.
- 1908 (catalogued Jan,vi Th, 1945), Archive.org 1908; 1910 (catalogued Jan,thired 1855), Archive.org 1910; 1912, Archive.org 1912; 1922, Archive.org 1922; 1923, Archive.org 1923; November 1924, Archive.org 1924; 1927, Archive.org 1927; 1929, Archive.org 1929; 1931, Archive.org 1931; 1932, Archive.org 1932; 1933, Archive.org 1933.
- Compendium of the More Important Army Order 1919. Pdf download, Digital Library of India. Archive.org version. Full title: Compendium of the More Important Orders of the Government of India, Army Department and India Army Orders issued from the 1st August 1914, to the 31st December 1917.
Government Of India: Army Department Army Instruction (Instructions). Pdf downloads, Digital Library of India. Based on catalogue details. Note some years have multiple files which may, or may not, have different content.
- 1918, Archive.org version; 1919, Archive.org version; 1920, Archive.org version; No.2 Of 1920, Archive.org version; 1921, Archive.org version; 1922, Archive.org version; Index To Army Instructions India January To December 1922, Archive.org version; 1923, Archive.org version; 2nd Jan.1923, Archive.org version; Index To Army Instructions India 1924, Archive.org version; 1926, Archive.org version.
- Naval & Military Gazette and Weekly Chronicle of the United Service is available on findmypast, category "Newspapers & periodicals", with the same contents also available on the British Newspaper Archive, both pay websites. The date range is Saturday 09 February 1833 to Wednesday 17 February 1886, with issues 1833-1846, 1860-1886, with details on a BNA page. It is possible to browse individual editions on BNA, in addition to searching. To browse the findmypast editions, use the filters under "Narrow your search results" (left hand side of the webpage) "By Newspaper" and "By Date".
- Publication appears to have ceased in 1886. It then, (or subsequently) became incorporated into Broad Arrow, refer entry above.
- Naval and Military Gazette and East India and Colonial Chronicle. Appears to be the earlier title of the publication above.
- 1839: Jan.-Dec. Note, title page says 1838, but contents is for 1839; 1844: Jan.-July Very poor quality. Archive.org; 6 issues (weekly), 15 Jan-19 Feb 1853 wellcomelibrary.org
Navy and Army Illustrated. A Magazine Descriptive and Illustrative of Everyday Life in the Defensive Services of the British Empire. Published from 1895, to at least 1905 (Volume 21).
- Volume IV, for the period May 28th, 1897 to October 21st, 1897. Archive.org. Index.
- HathiTrust Digital Library editions A, B 1895-1905. Restricted access only, available to those in North America, and perhaps some other countries.
Useful for researching an Officer's career. There have been several version of the Navy List.
- 1782-1814 Steel's Navy List. Full title: Steel's Original and Correct List of the Royal Navy. Published monthly during times of war, quarterly at other times. Also see Royal Navy for some pay downloads from the National Archives.
- 1814 to present day: Official "Navy List"
- 1841-1856 Unofficial "New Navy List" - which often gives biographical details. 
- Note: Many of the digital files contain two separate volumes, which may not be specifically listed below.
The Navy Lists include the Royal Marines, also known as the Royal Marine Forces. At various periods there were the Royal Marines Artillery (RMA), and the Royal Marines Light Infantry (RMLI), later the Royal Marine Light Infantry.
For Navy Lists not available online, see the Fibiwiki page Royal Navy.
- From the Google Book website
- From the Hathi Trust Digital Library The Navy List from 1814-1875 full view, with editions for 1876-1891 on a restricted access basis, possibly available to those in North America.
- From the Archive.org website
Also on Archive .org from the collection of the National Library of Scotland on Archive.org
Navy Lists, in respect of the Royal Navy. The Lists were initially published on a monthly basis, but some years were only published quarterly. The lists below covering 1913, 1914, 1918, 1919 and 1920 were produced both monthly and quarterly. The NLS holding does not include monthly lists for those months covered by quarterly lists.
The Lists are also available on the website of the NLS, with transcriptions available, together with a Search facility, as Navy Lists: 1913 to 1944
Currently available on Archive.org (at April 2012), noting that the dates on some editions are not included in the title, are
- 1939 February- September, December
- 1940 February-July, October, December
- 1941 April, June, August, October
- 1942 February, April, June, August, October, December
- 1943 February, April, June, August, October, December
- 1944 February, April, June, October
- 1945 January, April, July
Please note it is possible there may be several different volumes for a particular date, as there are for Army Lists. The Contents page will generally be at the front of the first volume. There may be an Index at the back of the last volume.
Available on pay websites:
- On Ancestry: UK, Navy Lists, 1888-1970, located in Military. Searchable and browsable. Includes volumes in the interwar period 1921-1939 which do not appear to be available elsewhere online.
- On findmypast, located in Armed Forces & Conflict/Directories & Almanacs, introduced July 2018. Britain, Royal Navy, Navy Lists 1827-1945 and Britain, Royal Navy, Navy Lists 1827-1945 Browse. The coverage in general terms seems to be available elsewhere.
- The King's Regulations and Admiralty Instructions for the Government of His Majesty's Naval Service, Volume I 1913. reprinted 1916. Archive.org.
- Kings Regulations & Admiralty Instructions - Part II 1913 Transcribed version, however not complete. pbenyon.plus.com
- Naval Social History - Circa 1793 - 1920+ (pbenyon.plus.com) also contains extracts of additional Admiralty Instructions.
Title varied. Initially titled Statistical Report on the Health of the Navy, and some editions possibly may have been titled Statistical Report of the Health of the Navy. Also A Statistical Return of the Health of the Royal Navy. Later titles may have omitted Statistical. It appears to have been published generally annually from 1830, through to c 1936 by HMSO [His/Her Majesty's Stationery Office] and also presented to the House of Commons as a Parliamentary Paper. Accordingly it should be available through the subscription website UK Parliamentary Papers, see Subscription websites-online newspapers, journals and directories for details and suggested access. Your Library needs to have subscribed for the module covering the period required.
- Statistical Reports on the Health of the Navy, for the years 1830, 1831, 1832, 1833, 1834, 1835 and 1836, etc. [A reprint of pt. 1, without the Appendices]. 1841 Google Books
- A Statistical Return of the Health of the Royal Navy for the Year 1858 in Accounts and Papers of the House of Commons 1861 Volume XXXVIII 1861. Google Books
- Statistical Report on the Health of the Navy for the Year 1871 Parliamentary Papers, House of Commons and Command, Volume 46 1873. Google Books.
New Annual Army List
Volumes are from the Hathi Trust Digital Library, the Archive.org website,with others from Google Books, and the website of the National Library of Scotland.
The title of this commercial publication varied over time: 1840-1853, The New Annual Army List. 1854-1869, The New Annual Army List, and Militia List. 1870-1880, The New Annual Army List, Militia List, and Indian Civil Service List. 1881-1893, The New Annual Army List, Militia List, Yeomanry Cavalry List, and Indian Civil Service List. 1894-1901, The New Annual Army List, Militia List, and Yeomanry Cavalry List. 1902-1903, Hart's Annual Army List, Militia List, and Yeomanry Cavalry List. 1904-1908, Hart's Annual Army List, Militia List, and Imperial Yeomanry List. 1909-1915 Hart's Annual Army List, Special Reserve List and Territorial Force List.
By 1881, the Table of Contents had become more detailed, and it is easier to see the sections which may be relevant for India. In additional to details about the Bengal, Madras and Bombay Armies, which also include Medical Department, Veterinary Department and Ecclesiastical Department details, sections such as Royal Artillery, Royal Engineers and Staff Abroad also contain information about officers in India. From 1904 the title page stated "Containing dates of commissions, and a summary of the war services of nearly every officer in the Army, Supply &c. Departments, Marine and Indian Army, and Indian local forces." Some editions also contain Indian Civil Service Lists, refer Directories online-India List and India Office List for a separate list. The earlier editions, approximately prior to the early 1860s contain less information relevant to India. Editions from the early 1860s to 1880 contain information which may not be indexed.
There were also official publications by the War Office, published by Her Majesty's Stationery Office.(HMSO).
- Online Army Lists, from a broken range of dates from 1840 are available at National Library of Scotland on Archive.org. This links displays volumes in the order they were uploaded to Archive.org, and the editions for the earlier years, from 1840, were uploaded first, so appear last on the list.
- Note: All these editions are now also available on the website of the National Library of Scotland, including some editions which do not seem to be available on Archive.org, with a Search facility, either for the entire Hart's collection, individual years, or groups of years. A text version of pages is also available if required.
- Editions from 1840 are available on the HathiTrust Digital Library. From 1876 limited access editions are available, probably accessible by those in North America. All these editions have the advantage that the pages can be rotated.
- Hathi Trust Digital Library has the following editions of A List of the Officers of the Army and of the Corps of Royal Marines 1794-1804 and 1782 and 1811- 1856 (broken range). All these editions have the advantage that the pages can be rotated. Archive.org editions. Also search in Google Books for other editions of A List of the Officers of the Army and of the Corps of Royal Marines 1778-1855 (incomplete series) and New Army List 1840-1869 (incomplete series). For the latter series, some additional volumes may be found if they are searched for individually.
- Annual Army Lists from 1754 to 1879 are available to download (free of cost) as pdf files from the The National Archives Documents Online: Digital Microfilm, under WO 65 records. They can also be viewed online, although personal experience was that this was a slow process, as each page was slow to load. For more details see TNA Discovery catalogue record for WO 65. These are official annual publications, published by the War Office. The title for 1877-78, record WO 65/162, is A List of the Officers of the Army and of the Royal Marine Forces, Corrected throughout to the 31st March 1877. 1877-1878. By Authority. HMSO 1877.
- Findmypast, pay website, contains a database "British Army, Army Lists 1839-1946" and a related Browse database (located in Armed Forces & Conflict/Directories & Almanacs). The Lists available seems to be less than the National Library of Scotland coverage.
- Also see Quarterly Army List below, for databases on other pay websites such as Ancestry and TheGenealogist.
As an example of the information relating to, or including, the Indian Army, the following links are to the 1913 edition:
Officers of the Indian Army on the Supernumerary List transferred to permanent Civil Employment page 675, Indian Army Cavalry page 678, Indian Army Artillery page 692, Indian Army Sappers and Miners page 694, Indian Army Infantry page 696, Goorkha Regiments page 735, Indian Medical Service page 742 Bengal, Madras, Bombay and Rangoon Ecclesiastical Establishments page 754, War Services of the Officers of the Active List page 757. Indian Army Reserve of Officers and Officers on the Unemployed Supernumerary List pages 1218- 1219, War Service of Officers of the Retired List page 1326, Deaths page 1556, Index page 1561
New Army List
Volumes are from Google Books, and from the Archive.org website. Earlier editions are available online from August 1839, and readers in some countries will be able to access Google Books editions after 1875.
The title of this quarterly commercial publication varied over time: The New Army List 1840-1853. The New Army List and Militia List 1854-1869. The New Army List, Militia List and Indian Civil Service List 1870-1880. The New Army List, Militia List, Yeomanry Cavalry List and Indian Civil Service List 1881-1893. The New Army List, Militia List and Yeomanry Cavalry List 1894-April 1901. The New Army List, Militia List and Imperial Yeomanry List July 1901-Jan. 1909. The New Army List, Special Reserve List and Territorial Force List April 1909-Jan. 1915. by H. G. Hart.
Note: The digital book files below may contain two quarterly editions, each with separate page numbering.
Quarterly Army List
A War Office publication printed by Authority, by Her/ His Majesty’s Stationery Office, (HMSO). The War Office also published a Monthly Army List. Both these publications were official publications.
The British Library has editions from 1880 under the title The Official Army List for the quarter ending ... (UIN: BLL01001094690). From 1913-1922 the title was The Quarterly Army List for the quarter ending.. (UIN: BLL01001094691). The Quarterly Army List was also published July 1940-Dec. 1950 (UIN: BLL01001094682). From 1923-1950 the title was The Half-Yearly Army List for the half-year ending ... (UIN: BLL01001094692)
The Quarterly Army Lists in the table following are on Archive.org, from the collection of the National Library of Scotland. They are also available on the website of the NLS, as 1913-1919 - Quarterly Army List with transcriptions available, together with a Search facility.
Findmypast, pay website, contains a database "British Army, Army Lists 1839-1946" and a related Browse database (located in Armed Forces & Conflict/Directories & Almanacs), with editions from December 1913 to December 1919. See below the following table, for Ancestry and The Genealogist databases (pay websites).
Note: Quarterly Army Lists only list regular, career officers and not others such as temporary officers and territorial officers who are to be found in the Monthly Army Lists. The National Library of Scotland has digitised some of its collection of Monthly Army Lists which were available on its website mid September 2016. See the section Monthly Army List.
The National Library of Scotland at Archive.org has editions from July 1939 to December 1946 - enter "Army List" in search box. They are also available on the website of the NLS, with transcriptions available, together with a Search facility, as 1938-1941 - Half-yearly Army List and 1940-1946 - Quarterly Army List
Findmypast, pay website, contains a database "British Army, Army Lists 1839-1946" and a related Browse database (located in Armed Forces & Conflict/Directories & Almanacs), with Lists from December 1938 to December 1946, (and WW1, and earlier years as detailed above).
Ancestry, pay website, contains a database "UK, British Army Lists, 1882-1962" of transcriptions only, with the images on the associated pay website fold3, "British Army Lists" , which contains details of the years covered, including 1922, July, Parts 1 and 2, 1932 November and 1939 November, the latter two possibly Monthly Lists. Note however, for "1932 November" (seen during a free period) the title page, contents and final pages, including Index at the back of the book are missing, and probably similarly for all other volumes.
TheGenealogist, pay website Gold and (higher) Diamond subscriptions have access to Army Lists, including Lists for 1920, 1923, 1929, 1932, 1938, but it is unclear whether these are transcriptions only or include images.
Monthly Army List
An official War Office publication, which commenced August 1881 and ceased after May 1940. (No issues published for Dec. 1897 and Jan. 1898). Based on library catalogues, Bodleian Libraries, University of Oxford, and the National Library of Scotland may have the best collections. The British Library holds a broken range of editions from October 1881 (UIN: BLL01013821218). The National Archives also holds Monthly Lists which are part of the Library collection, however the date range is unclear. The National Army Museum appears to hold a limited number of editions before and after the WW1 period.
- Monthly Army List, editions from September 1881 to December 1885 Digital Collection, Bodleian Libraries, University of Oxford. Most digital files appear to contain two monthly Lists. Personal experience was that a file was slow to download. Note these are copies of Google Book files, so those in North America etc may be able to find the Google Books file, and read online and search.
- In mid September 2016, the National Library of Scotland released its digitised collection of Monthly Army Lists which cover the periods 1914-1919 and 1937-1940. As mentioned above, temporary officers and territorial officers are only to be found in the Monthly Army Lists. At least during the First World War, only the Monthly Lists cover the officers in “battalion order”.
- Access the NLS database through 1914-1940 - Monthly army lists. Lists may be read online or downloaded, and there is a Search facility. Transcription of pages is also available if required.
- Restricted access, probably accessible to those in North America and some other countries, probably Monthly Lists, including 1920: Hathi Trust Digital Library
Minutes of Proceedings of the Royal Artillery Institution
Volumes are from the Google Books and Archive.org websites.
The volumes below are catalogued by Google Books under the title The Journal of the Royal Artillery, which was the title from 1905.
|Volume 1 1858-Contents||Volume 2 1861-Contents||Volume 6 1870-Contents|
- Volume 15 1888 Contents and one article only. "The Expedition to the Ruby Mines of Upper Burma (A Short Sketch)" by Captain W. N. Lloyd, R.A. pdf version, html version ruby-sapphire.com
More editions are available on a restricted viewing basis, probably accessible to those in North America, on the Hathi Trust Digital Library, and Google Books
The title varies: 1827-1828, Naval and Military Magazine ; Jan. 1829-Dec. 1841, The United Service Journal and Naval and Military magazine; Jan. 1842-Apr. 1843, The United Service Magazine and Naval and Military Journal: May 1843-Dec. 1882, Colburn's United Service Magazine and Naval and Military Journal; Jan. 1883-Dec. 1887, Colburn's United Service Magazine and Journal of the Army, Navy and Auxiliary Forces; Jan. 1888-Mar. 1890, Colburn's United Service Magazine. The title then became The United Service Magazine, which was published until June 1920. Many of the Google Books are catalogued under the latter title. Most of the links below are from Google Books.
Volume numbers were irregular: Jan. 1829-Dec. 1884 without volume numbering; Jan. 1885-Apr. 1888 called v. 113-119; May 1888-Mar. 1890, v. 119-122 (new ser. v. 1-4); Apr. 1890-Sept. 1900, old ser. v.107-127 (new ser. v. 1-21); Oct. 1900-June 1920, old ser. v. 143-182 (new ser. v. 22-61)
From 1920 the title became The Army Quarterly.
A researcher found details of the locations of both service company and reserve/depot company for his regiment of interest in the 1830s-1840s. Stations of the British Army were generally tabulated within the “Editor’s Portfolio”, but sometimes separately.
|Volume 1, Second Edition 1827-Contents||Volume 2 1827-Index||Volume 3 1828-Index||Volume 4 1828-Index|
*Hathi Trust Digital Library
|1880 Part 3-Contents||Volume 8 New Series October 1893 to April 1894-Contents||Volume 29 New Series April 1904 to September 1904-Contents|
Restricted access, probably accessible by those in North America. Google Books has many editions , 1894 ,1895 and 1908. Also with restricted access, the Hathi Trust Digital Library has editions after 1878 including some for the early 1890s: page 1 and page 2
- IPT et al. List of Army Forms Great War Forum 28 October 2013, and Muerrisch et al. army form scans was A R M Y F O R M database. Great War Forum 1 October 2005. Retrieved 23 June 2018.
- UK National Archives Research Guides
- British Army, Army Lists 1839-1946 findmypast.
- rflory. Army List lookup, posts 4 and 10. Great War Forum 26 February 2016. Retrieved 8 June 2018.
- UK, British Army Lists, 1882-1962 Ancestry
- Fold3 British Army Lists
- TheGenealogist Gold and (higher) Diamond subscriptions. Click through to a description of the Army Lists.
- David_Underdown. Army List - copies at Kew? Great War Forum 13 June 2015. Retrieved 9 June 2018.
- rflory. Army List - copies at Kew? Great War Forum 28 May 2015. Retrieved 9 June 2018.
- davieboy. Private Samuel Delap, 10th Regiment of Foot Victorian Wars Forum 22 August 2017. Retrieved 24 August 2017.