Buxar was the location of an ancient fort, commanding the reaches of the Ganges, in a position of strategic importance. The land around the fort was used as a cantonment from 1770 to 1842.
C 1834 it was the one of the four locations of invalided European Veterans in Bengal (the others being Chunar, Monghyr and Moorshedabad). These men probably belonged to a Veterans' Battalion, similar to the Carnatic European Veteran Battalion in Madras Presidency.
After the land around the fort ceased being used as a cantonment, it was handed over to the Stud Department. Later, in 1875, the land was handed over to civil authorities.
- Buxar Wikipedia
- Buxar Fort Wikipedia.
- "Buxar Subdivision and Buxar Town" Imperial Gazetteer of India, v. 9, p. 247, published 1908. dsal.uchicago.edu
- "Buxar Subdivision and Buxar Town' page 162 Bihar and Orissa District Gazetteers: Shahabad by L S S O Malley, revised edition by J F W James 1924 Archive.org
- "Mofussil Stations: No XII - Monghyr" page 119 The Asiatic Journal and Monthly Miscellany, Volume 14, New Series May-August 1834. Google Books