Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Hobson Jobson , for the glossary of Anglo Indian words compiled by Sir Henry Yule (1820-1889) and A C Burnell (1840-1882). It was first published in 1886
- Find the meaning of words used in India, a section of Miscellaneous tips
Historical books online
- The British Indian Monitor: Or the Antijargonist, Stranger's Guide, Oriental Linguist, and Various Other Works….on the Hindoostanee Language by John Borthwick Gilchrist. Volume I 1806, Volume II 1808. Google Books.
- Polyglot Munshi or vocabulary, exercises, pleasant stories, &c. &c. &c. in English, Persian, Hindi, Hindustani and Bengali: for the use of students both native and European by Debipersad Rae 1841. Heidelberg University Digital Repository South Asian Studies. Polyglot Múnshí Google Books.
- Supplement to the Glossary of Indian Terms: A-J by Henry M Elliot, Bengal Civil Service, 1845 Google Books. Also known as Supplemental Glossary of Terms Used in the North Western Provinces.
- Memoirs on the History, Folk-Lore, and Distribution of the Races of the North Western Provinces of India; being an Amplified Edition of the Original Supplemental Glossary of India Terms by the late Henry M. Elliot 1869 Google Books Volume I, Volume II, Index
- Kutcherry technicalities, or, Vocabulary of law terms, as used in the moffusil courts N.W.P. by Patrick Carnegy 1853 Google Books
- A Glossary of Judicial and Revenue Terms: And of Useful Words Occurring in Official Documents Relating to the Administration of the Government of British India, from the Arabic, Persian, Hindustání, Sanskrit, Hindí, Bengálí, Uriya, Maráthi, Guazráthí, Telugu, Karnáta, Tamil, Malayálam, and Other Languages by Horace Hayman Wilson 1855 Google Books
- A Sanskrit-English Dictionary, etymologically and philologically arranged, with special reference to Greek, Latin, Gothic, German, Anglo-Saxon, and other cognate Indo-European languages by Monier Williams 1872 Archive.org
- A military dictionary, comprising terms, scientific and otherwise, connected with the science of war by Major-General G E Voyle, retired Royal (Bengal) Artillery. 3rd edition 1876 Archive.org. Contains some Indian words.
- A Sanskrit-English dictionary, based upon the St. Petersburg lexicons by Carl Cappeller. Published Strassburg 1891 Archive.org
- A guide to Hindustani in Persian and Roman character : specially designed for the use of officers and men serving in India, including colloquial phrases, a collection of arzis, with transliteration and English translations by G S A Ranking Surg.-Lieut.-Col., Indian Medical Service. Fourth Edition, Revised and enlarged 1897, first published 1889. Archive.org.
- Introductory exercises in Urdu prose composition with notes and translations by Lieutenant-Colonel G Ranking, Indian Medical Service and Muhammad Yusuf Jaʿfari. 2nd edition 1905. Archive.org.
- TM 30-327: Hindustani: A Guide to the Spoken Language by United States War Dept. 1944 Archive.org. For USA military personnel. Intended to be used with accompanying records.
- Ferozsons English to English and Urdu Dictionary Archive.org New edition. Undated. Possibly c 1973, possibly originally c 1950.
- Burmese dictionaries etc
- Judson's Burmese-English dictionary Revised and enlarged by Robert C Stevenson, Burma Commission. 1893 Archive.org. Contains Burmese script.
- Tables for the transliteration of Burmese into English Superintendent Government Printing, Rangoon 1907. Central Secretariat Library, Delhi (Govt.of India). Archive.org mirror version.
- Burmese self-taught (in Burmese and Roman characters) with phonetic pronunciation. (Thimm's system.) R F St. A St. John 1911 Archive.org
- Short Glossary of Burmese First edition, January 1945. GSGS War Office, London. SOAS Digital Collections, University of London. Uses transliterations (Roman characters).
- Colloquial English-Persian Dictionary in the Roman Character by Lieut.-Colonel D C Phillott 1914. Archive.org, mirror from Digital Library Of India.
- A Dictionary of Medical Science by Robley Dunglison. Varying titles over time. Most editions contain the wording "Carefully revised and greatly enlarged" (or similar).
- 1833, 2nd edition, 1839, 3rd edition, 1842, 4th edition, 1844, 5th edition 1845, 6th edition, 1846, 7th edition 1848, 1857, 1860, 1866, 1868, 1874, 21st edition 1893, 23rd edition 1903 All Archive.org.
- There are a few additional editions on Archive.org, currently all were published in the 1850s.