Jump to navigation Jump to search
Hobson Jobson is the glossary of Anglo Indian words compiled by Sir Henry Yule (1820-1889) and A C Burnell (1840-1882). It was first published in 1886
Historical books online
- Hobson-Jobson: being a glossary of Anglo-Indian colloquial words and phrases, and of kindred terms; etymological, historical, geographical, and discursive
- 1886 edition Archive.org
- New edition edited by William Crooke 1903 Archive.org
- Hobson Jobson Limited view in Google Books. Probably 1903 edition reprint.
Refer also section Find the meaning of words used in India in Miscellaneous tips
- Arthur Coke Burnell Dictionary of Indian Biography – archive.org
- Sir Henry Yule wikipedia
- Article "Linguistic gems from the jewel in the crown" by Christopher Howse 15 Jun 2013 The Telegraph, now archived. "'Hobson-Jobson’ is that rare delight – a dictionary that can be read for pleasure".