Jump to navigation Jump to search
Henry Yule 1820-1889
Henry Yule 1820-1889
Full biography see Wikipedia ‘Henry Yule .
Achievements in India
- 1840 Yule arrived in Calcutta at the end of 1840. His first posting was in the Khasi Hills, a remote area to the northeast of Bengal in the modern state of Meghalaya. His mission was to establish a practical method of transporting coal to the plains. In this he was unsuccessful 
- 1842 he was transferred to a team of engineers led by Captain (later General) William Baker charged with the construction of irrigation canals. Their headquarters were at Karnal, 130 km (81 mi) to the north of Delhi. 
- 1843 was appointed to a committee charged with investigating the relationship between irrigation by the proposed Ganges Canal and its impact on public health in the area
- 1845-46 1st Sikh War .
- 1848-49 2nd Sikh War and returned to Scotland .
- 1852 Yule returned to Bengal. He worked in Arakan and Burma and was put in charge of a new railway system  specific details not specified, most probably a Government of India post
- 1854-55 North of India Tramway Captain Yule, the Deputy Consulting Engineer to the Government of India, issued a Report on the practicability of the line in the Rohilcund(Rohilkhand) district, together with costs of making tramways adapted for animal traction,
- 1855 Author of ‘ A Narrative of the Mission sent by the Governor-General of India to the Court of Ava in 1855, with notices of the country, government, and people ’. Captain Henry Yule , Bengal Engineers, late Secretary to the Envoy and Under -Secretary to the Government of India .
- 1855 Oude Province Tramway and Railway Proposal see separate page. Yule had produced a report regarding the use of tramways and railways on the Oude Province, This had been adopted by The Lieutenant Governor of the N W Provinces in Public Works Directive No 7 paragraphs 42 & 43 in 1856.
- 1862-66 Rail Gauge Committee - see separate page.The introduction of a lighter system of railways into India was more than once proposed. Colonel Henry Yule R.E., C.B. with the Indian Branch Railway Company constructed two short lines of lighter construction for the Nalhati-Azimganj Railway and the both with James E Wilson being their engineer .
- 1867 Indian Branch Railway- see separate page Director .
- 1886 Joint author of ‘Hobson Jobson’ a glossary of Anglo Indian words see separate page
- Wikipedia ‘Henry Yule’; Retrieved 1 Apr 2020
- Google Books ‘Narrative of Mission to Court of Ava in 1855; Retrieved 1 Apr 2020
- Grace’s Guide ‘Thackers Directory’ 1867; Retrieved 1 Apr 2020