Duke of York's Military School
Two boarding schools were provided for children of serving or deceased Army officers. These were the Royal Hibernian Military School in Dublin, which was founded in 1769 for children and orphans of soldiers in the Irish establishment and the Royal Military Asylum for Children of Soldiers of the Regular Army, which was established originally at Chelsea in 1801.
In 1892 the Royal Military Asylum for Children of Soldiers of the Regular Army was renamed the Duke of York's Royal Military School and moved to Dover in 1909. In 1922 the Royal Hibernian School moved to Shorncliffe and merged with the Duke of York's School in 1924.
Records for both these schools are kept at The National Archives in the WO 143 series. The records include:
- regulations and orders from 1803 to 1908 relating to the administration of both the Duke of York's Royal Military School, the Royal Military Asylum for Children of Soldiers of the Regular Army and of the Royal Hibernian Military School.
- minutes of the Commissioners of the Royal Military Asylum from 1801 to 1907
- minutes of General Board meetings of the Commissioners of the Royal Military School from 1907 to 1953
- registers of admissions and discharges of children to and from the Royal Military Asylum from 1803 to 1923
- record of admission to the Royal Military School from 1906 to 1956
- an index of admissions to the Royal Hibernian Military School from 1803 to 1919
- letter books and accounts etc
findmypast includes a database "British Army Schoolchildren and Schoolmasters 1803-1932" (located in Education & work/Schools & education).
- Royal Hibernian Military School Wikipedia
- The RHMS, Dublin and The RMA, Chelsea, rma-searcher.co.uk, now an archived website. Includes “Name Indexes”: Alphabetical list of Children admitted.
- A.W Cockerill’s website includes categories Duke of York's School and Royal Hibernian Military School www.achart.ca
- Duke of York's Royal Military School Wikipedia
- Duke of York's Royal Military School website www.doyrms.com
- The story of 3 brothers and a son. John Kendall’s indian-cemeteries.org. Thomas Kendall, born in Moulmein, Burma in 1838 joined the RMA on 3rd December 1847.