Erode Branch Line
The Trichinopoly to Erode line via Karur, 87 miles(139km) line was first constructed by the Great Southern of India Railway in 1866-68 as broad gauge (BG), which was taken over by the South Indian Railway in 1874. The line was converted in 1879 to metre gauge(MG) to connect to the SIR MG network at Trichinopoly .
Thus Erode Junction became an important transfer point between the South Indian Railway BG network and their MG network
- “Administration Report on Railways 1918” page 138 (pdf147) ; Retrieved 31 Jan 2018
- “Administration Report on Railways 1918” page 136 (pdf145) ; Retrieved 31 Jan 2018