Article "German Voices from India : Officers of the Hanoverian Regiments in East India Company Service" by Chen Tzoref-Ashkenazi, in South Asia: Journal of South Asian Studies, Volume 32, Issue 2 August 2009 , pages 189 - 211.Details. Available at the British Library
German soldiers from Dutch East India Company Regiments were recruited into the 1st Madras (European) Fusiliers
- Deputation of Lieutenant John Owen to the Cape of Good Hope to enlist German, Austrian and Polish recruits for the Company's European Regiments IOR/F/4/3/634 Nov 1787-Sep 1796
- Additional allowance granted to Lieutenant John Owen for enlisting German, Austrian and Polish recruits at the Cape of Good Hope in 1796-97. IOR/F/4/74/1609 Aug 1795-Aug 1799
- Complaint of Baron de Reiger alleging ill-treatment of the prisoners of war of the Wurttemberg Regiment at Madras not upheld by the Court of Directors. IOR/F/4/53/1182 Oct 1793-Feb 1798
- Papers regarding the disbandment of the Wurttemberg Company, (includes a Muster Roll of the Company). Memorial of Lieutenant Paul Kellner requesting permission to transfer to the Madras Army. IOR/F/4/183/3685 Jul 1804-Mar 1805
- Question of the pensions and allowances to be granted to the officers of the Swiss Regiment De Meuron (includes lists of officers of the regiment and a copy of the Capitulation of 25 September 1798) IOR/F/4/78/1728 Sep 1798-Apr 1800
- Six months' advance of pay is made to Captain N.J. De Bergeon and Captain Francois Louis Lenn, two officers of the Regiment De Meuron who remained behind in India when the regiment left for Europe. IOR/F/4/234/5396 Jul-Oct 1806
- British Army in India: Nominal and Casualty Rolls of Jager Corps Volunteers IOR/L/MIL/15/31-36 1860-1866
Also see External Links, below
- POW Camps in India for details of POW and Internment camps during the First and Second World War.
- Hanoverian Regiments
- Jager Corps
- Sardhana for a brief mention of of a German mercenary, Walter Reinhardt.
- The Wurttemberg Regiment’s German name was the Württembergisches Kapregiment or Cape Regiment Kapregiment Wikipedia written in German and associated Wikimedia.
- British Library Blog Untold Lives:Missionaries and madams 31 October 2011 and 'Unfortunate' women 7 November 2011. Repatriation of Germans and Austrians during World War 1
- The Swiss in India (German/French language) Historisches Lexikon der Schweiz
- India Includes "German Missions in India" mainly in German language but includes extracts from the book German Missions In British India Nationalism: Case And Crisis In Missions by Paul Von Tucher 1980 concerning internment of German missionaries during World War 2 at Premnagar near Dehra Dun, Purandhar, about 40kms south-east of Poona and Satara.gaebler.info.
- Wiele & Klein, Madras and Ootacamund: "The German Photographers of Madras" by Gabrielle Landwehr Part 1 , Part 2 (scroll down) Madras Musings Volume XVIII No. 14, November 1-15, 2008 and No. 15, November 16-30, 2008; Madras on glass 9 July 2003 The Hindu
- German language aids
- Germany includes German Language and Languages which in turn includes German Word List and Germany Handwriting Guide. Family Search (LDS) Wiki.
- German Church and Civil Records FamilySearch Learning Center/Lessons
- Old German Script 3 Parts. FamilySearch Learning Center/Lessons
- Reading German Handwritten Records [Kurrent] 3 Lessons. FamilySearch Learning Center/Lessons
- Another guide is Handwriting Guide: German Gothic, originally from LDS.
- Rudy Schmidt’s German Glossary of Causes of Death and other Archaic Medical Terms. now archived.
- German-English Illness Translations Odessa Digital Library
- Sütterlinstube Hamburg e.V is a non profit organization based in Hamburg which will, for a donation, transcribe from Old German to Latin script, old handwritten documents, such as diaries or other family documents. Select the English version, top right hand corner of the webpage.