Modern name ‘Manjhi Railway Bridge’
Marked A on map
The Inchcape Bridge carried the ‘Bengal and North-Western Railway’(B&NWR) ‘Chupra-Benares-Allahabad Branch’ to the west of Revelganj to Bakulaha and the line opened opened 7 February 1912. The line became described as part of the ‘Ganga-Gogra Doab Mainline’
This bridge over the Gogra River (modern name Ghaghara River near confluence with Ganges ), was built in 1909-10. It consisted of eighteen 200 foot( 61mtr) through girder spans on brick piers, 36 feet high founded on circular brick wells sunk 97 feet below low-water level. The bridge carried a single metre gauge(MG) track.
The bridge was named the ‘Inchcape Bridge’ after James Lyle Mackay, Ist Earl of Inchcape, who had been appointed President of the Bengal Chamber of Commerce in 1890, a member of the Legislative Council of the Viceroy of India in 1891 and a member of the Council of the Secretary of State for India in 1897. .
In the Bihar earthquake of the 15 Jan 1934, two of the girders were overthrown and fell into the dry bed of the river . Reconstruction was in progress in 1937 and the bridge was reopened.
The bridge is now named the ‘Manjhi Railway Bridge’ .
- Institution of Civil Engineers, London ‘The reconstruction of the Incape Bridge, Bengal and North Western Railway, 1937’; Retrieved 17 Apr 2020
- Grace’s Guide ‘James Lyle Mackay’; Retrieved 17 Apr 2020
- Structrea website ‘ Manjhi Railway Bridge; Retrieved 26 Nov 2020