Kulti Iron Works Railway

From FIBIwiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Kulti Iron Works Railway

The 'Kulti Iron Works' was originally established as the ‘Barakar Iron Works Co’, 1875-79; taken over by the Government of India, 1881. Sold later to the ‘Bengal Iron and Steel Co.’ with ‘Martin & Company’ as Managing Agent from 1892 until 1919 when a new company ‘Bengal Iron Co’ acquired the business (Later in 1936 becoming ‘Indian Iron and Steel Co.’) [1].

During 1905 the East Indian Railway(EIR) had lent the works broad gauge(BG) locomotives for 'sidings work'. In 1910 the company began to mine iron ore from the Chiria Iron Ore Mines at Manoharpur. The company's own collieries supplied coal for the coke ovens; these were connected to the works by a 2 mile(3.2km) 2ft/610mm narrow gauge(NG) tramway[1].

References

  1. 1.0 1.1 “Industrial Railways and Locomotives of India and South Asia” compiled by Simon Darvill. Published by ‘The Industrial Railway Society’ 2013. ISBN 978 1 901556 82-7. Available at http://irsshop.co.uk/India. Reference: Entry WB02 page ....