Peninsular Locomotive Company

From FIBIwiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Peninsular Locomotive Company

The Peninsular Locomotive Company was established in Tatanager, Jamshedpur in 1921 to produce locomotives. However by 1925 not a single locomotive had been produced. In 1928 the Government of India took over the site and used it to produce carriage and wagon underframes until 1934 when it closed again. The site reopened again between 1940 and 1945 for the production of armoured vehicles. In 1945 Tata Ltd purchased the site, demolished the buildings and a new plant was built for the Tata Engineering and Locomotive Company [1]

References

  1. “Industrial Railways and Locomotives of India and South Asia” compliled by Simon Darvill. Published by ‘The Industrial Railway Society’ 2013. ISBN 978 1 901556 82-7. Available at http://irsshop.co.uk/India. Reference: Entry JH27 page 170