Jump to navigation Jump to search
|Altitude:||0 m (0 ft)|
|Present Day Details|
|State/Province:||Indian Union Territory of Puducherry|
Pondicherry was formerly a French colony founded by Francois Martin in 1674.
- Siege of Pondicherry 1748
- Capture of Pondicherry 1761
- Battle of Pondicherry 1778
- Battle of Pondicherry 1793
- See French. The Pondicherry archives are in the "Archives Nationales d'Outre-Mer (ANOM)" in the city of Aix en Provence, France.
- Sacred Heart Church
- Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception
- Notre Dame Des Anges (Our Lady of Angels)
- English Cemetery
- French Cemetery
- Cemetery opposite Notre Dames Des Anges
(For some transcriptions see External links below)
Pondicherry Imperial Gazetteer
- Some older cemetery transcriptions from Inscriptions on Tombs and Monuments in Madras covering both English and French Cemeteries by J J Cotton 1905 archive.org
- Surnames from the European cemeteries in Pondicherry, archived website of Jean-Claude Feray, listing mostly French names.
- Cemeteries, Pondicherry Past and Present, now an archived website.
- Jean-Claude Féray has compiled an excellent series of webpages on French genealogy in Pondicherry, which are now archived. The site is in French, but the lists of names will be comprehensible to non-French-speakers. Links are at the bottom of main page.
- Pondicherry Past and Present archived website from Institut Français de Pondichéry. Click on the two sections "Pondicherry from the origins to 1824", and "Pondicherry from 1824 to the present day", and then select further sections.
- Institut Français de Pondichéry
- Details of EAP191/1 Periodicals of French India at the Library of the Institut Français de Pondichéry (1823-1958), now available at the British Library in digital form. Part of the The British Library's Endangered Archives Programme.
- [Researching at the] Institute Français de Pondichéry, India by Luther Obrock, (Department of South & Southeast Asian Studies, University of California, Berkeley) March 13, 2014. dissertationreviews.org
- "Pondicherry – A bit of France in India" by Sunayana Panda confluence.org.uk, now archived.
- "Coromandel Trail - Along the salt pans to Pondicherry" by Lakshmi Sharath 17 September 2012 in.lifestyle.yahoo.com, now archived.
- 20 Old & Rare Photos Of Pondicherry reckontalk.com
- Pondichery Church and Cemetery You Tube
- In pictures: Former French colony of Pondicherry in India 19 September 2012 BBC News India
- Churches of Pondicherry aminearlythereyet.com Stunning photos