Jump to navigation Jump to search
See separate articles on
- North Waziristan Agency
- South Waziristan Agency
- Operations in Waziristan 1919-1920
- Operations in Waziristan November 1936 - December 1937
- North West Frontier Campaigns for an overview of the campaigns
- Waziristan Wikipedia
- "British Policy in Tribal Areas: A Case Study of Waziristan" by Dr.Fazlur Rahman Pakistan Journal of History and Culture Vol.XXV No.1 Jan-Jun 2004. Includes statistics about the cost of operations.
- "Waziristan-The Past" by Hamid Hussain 2004 Orbat.com
- "Waziristan 1937-1939" ( 9 page pdf) by Lieut Colonel H E M Newman The Royal Engineer Journal Volume 95, number 2, 1984 from the website A Newman Family Tree, (select HEM Newman)
- These photographs have subjects which are of a Military nature and were taken by Gordon Gibbons during his tour of duty in the Northwest Frontier of India with the RAF from 1937 to 1940. Bob Holland’s Raimpais website
- Photograph Collection: Alastair Stewart McGhee from his time in North West India from 1946 to 1947 flickr.com. A signaller, he was initially based at Risalpur, then at Gardai, Waziristan, having previously served in Burma.
- Sketch Map of Waziristan. March 1938 British Library catalogue reference IOR/L/PS/12/1960, f 258. Qatar Digital Library.
Historical books online
- East India (North-West Frontier). Mahsud-Waziri Operations 1902 His Majesty's Stationery Office, London . Probably a report to Parliament. Pdf download Digital Repository of GIPE-Gokhale Institute of Politics and Economics [Pune India].
- Waziristan Imperial Gazetteer of India 1908
- From the Black Mountain to Waziristan being an account of the border countries and the more turbulent of the tribes controlled by the North-west frontier province, and of our military relations with them in the past by H. C. Wylly 1912 Archive.org
- Operations in Waziristan, 1919-1920 by General Staff Army Headquarters. India 1921 Archive.org
- "Waziristan District" by Lieutenant-Colonel B. B. Burke Journal of the Royal Army Medical Corps 1925;44:3 pages 204-207. "Every officer must carry a loaded revolver when travelling on account of the possibility of fanatical attacks". Mentions military stations or camps at Dera Ismail Khan, Tank, Manzai, Khirgi, Bannu, Idak, Damdil, Gardai and Razmak.
- "Notes on a Tour Through Waziristan" by Major A. D. Stirling Journal of the Royal Army Medical Corps 1927;49:2 pages 143-151.
- Beyond Khyber Pass by Lowell Thomas. First published 1925. Archive.org. Some editions were titled Beyond Khyber Pass into Forbidden Afghanistan. The first chapter is about Waziristan. Lowell Thomas American writer and broadcaster.
- Khyber Caravan: Through Kashmir, Waziristan, Afghanistan, Baluchistan and Northern India by Gordon Sinclair 1936. Archive.org. Also available PAHAR Mountains of Central Asia Digital Dataset. If download button does not display, locate in Books/Indian Subcontinent/1936.
- Official History Of Operations On The North-West Frontier Of India 1920-1935 is available in a reprint edition which in turn is available as part of an online book on the Ancestry owned pay website fold3.
- Tribal disturbances in Waziristan (25th November, 1936-14th June, 1937) His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1937. Link to a pdf download Digital Repository of GIPE, Gokhale Institute of Politics and Economics, Pune, India.
- Official History of Operations on the N.W. Frontier of India, 1936-37 by General Staff Army Headquarters, India 1943. Pdf download, Digital Library of India.
- Also available in a reprint edition which in turn is available as part of an online book on the Ancestry owned pay website fold3.
- Waziristan 1936-1937 : The problems of the North-West Frontiers of India and their Solutions by Lieut.-Colonel C. E. Bruce 1938 Archive.org
- "Report on Operations in Waziristan, 25th November 1936 to 16th January 1937 (1st Phase)" London Gazette Supplement 2 November 1937
- "Report on Operations In Waziristan, 16th January 1937 to 15th September 1937 (Second Phase)" London Gazette Supplement 18 February 1938
- "Report on Operations in Waziristan, 16th September 1937 to 15th December 1937 (Final Phase)" London Gazette Supplement 14 June 1938
- "Report on Operations in Waziristan, 16th December, 1937 to the 31st December, 1938" London Gazette Supplement 18 August 1939
- Chapter 14, "Waziristan 1937" page 394, Imperial Policing by Major-General Sir Charles W Gwynn 1939 Archive.org, Public Library of India Collection. Also available as a different file Archive.org (pdf).
- Brief Gazetteer of Most Important and Useful Place Names in Waziristan District 1935 is available to download as a pdf from Pahar-Mountains of Central Asia Digital Dataset.
- Official History Of Operations On The North-West Frontier Of India 1920-1935 Naval & Military Press
- Official History of Operations on the NW Frontier of India fold3 (located in World War2/Military books/India). Consists of 2 books.
- Official History Of Operations On The North-West Frontier Of India 1936-1937 Naval & Military Press