1st Kumaon Rifles
- October 1917 –raised as the 4th Battalion 39th Garhwal Rifles
- November 1917- became 4th/39th Kumaon Rifles
- April 1918-became 1st/50th Kumaon Rifles
- 1922-grouped with the Jat Regiment
- 1923-affiliated with the 19th Hyderabad Regiment as the 1st Kumaon Rifles
First World War
The 1st/50th Kumaon Rifles fought at the battles of Sharon and Megiddo in Palestine. Two War Diaries are available at The National Archives, catalogue reference Part IV: Egypt, Palestine And Syria: War Diary of the 1/50 Battalion Kumaon Rifles
- 1918 May - 1919 Apr. part of WO 95/4670 - 60 (London) Division  and
- 1919 May - 1920 Mar. part of WO 95/4586 - 10 (Irish) Division
In 1921 the regiment was stationed in Constantinople as guard to the Allied Headquarters.
- Kumaon Regiment Wikipedia
- Page 267 Valour and Sacrifice: Famous Regiments of the Indian Army by Gautam Sharma Google Books
- 1979 Audio recording by Mrs Agnes Moffatt, wife of an officer 1st Kumaon Rifles with Typescript Part 1 and Typescript Part 2 s-asian.cam.ac.uk. She first joined her husband in Constantinople in 1921.
Historical books online
- Page 271 Under Ten Viceroys: the Reminiscences of a Gurkha by Major-General Nigel Woodyatt 1922 Archive.org. A brief reference to the raising of the 1st Battalion, 50th Kumaonis by Lt-Col E M Lang.
- Valour Triumphs: A History of the Kumaon Regiment by K C Praval 1976. Copy and paste the following link in your browser
- http://lib.perdana.org.my/PLF/PLF2/Digital_Content/PLF/000013/OCRed/Valour Triumphs.pdf or
- access the archived version Archive.org.