Bhogava River Bridge
Bhogava River Bridge""" the following extracted from British Library 'India Office Records :-
The construction of a major road bridge across the Bhogava River between Wadhwan, on the north bank, and Surendranager had an influence of the development of the 'Kathiawar Peninsula Railway and Tramway Systems' and the 'Morvi Tramway/Railway' in particular. The bridge was completed at a cost of Rs 60,000 by the Wadhwan Duarbar. It was intended that the bridge should be of stone masonry, and to consist of 15 arches of 45 feet span. Plans and estimates were prepared and sanctioned, and the work was commenced in November 1875.
Subsequently it was discovered that the foundations in the centre of the river bed would be unusually deep and would necessitate heavy expense in the way of damming and pumping, and it was eventually proposed to abandon the masonry idea either in part or in its entirety and procure an iron screw pile bridge from England.
Mr, J. R. Manning, CE, was appointed by the Political Agent to make enquiries and recommend suitable bridges and in due-course it was decided to accept the tender of the Darlaston bridge and Roofing Company for a lattice girder screw pile bridge consisting of 12 spans of 61ft—10in (18.85m) at a cost in England of £6,800, and which was estimated to cost when completely erected about one lac (Rs 100,000). Orders were issued to send out the foundation piles by January 1876 so as to get in the lower cylinders constructed before the coming rains.
In February 1876, on receipt of the first consignment, it was found that the cost of freight and haulage, added to the unfavourable rate of exchange, would considerably increase the total cost of the iron work before it could be laid down at Wadhwan. The Local Fund Engineer thereupon proposed to reduce the number of spans to 8 and to substitute with four masonry arches, two at either end, where foundations for masonry piers were obtainable. The four extra spans were disposed of to the State of Bhavnagar who had a need of them. This was estimated to give saving of Rupees 30,000 in the total cost.
The plans and proposals for the composite bridge were submitted for approval of the Political Agent who sanctioned the construction which was immediately started and by 1878 completed.
- British Library 2. IOR/V/10/1384 K'athiawar Administration Report 1876-77, No. 245 of 1877-78'