Dhrangadhra Railway

From FIBIwiki
(Redirected from Dhrangadra Railway)
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Dhrangadhra Railway
[[Image:|150px| ]]
Line of route
Dhrangadhra to Wadhwan
Gauge / mileage
Metre gauge 21 miles (1905)
40 miles (1942)
Timeline
1898 Opened to traffic
Key locations
Presidency Bombay
Stations Dhrangadhra, Wadhwan
System agency
1898 Bhavnagar-Gondal-Junagad-Porbandar Railway
1911 Bhavnagar State Railways
1943 Morvi Railway
How to interpret this infobox

The Dhrangadhra Railway (DR) was a short metre gauge(MG) line owned by the Princely Dhrangadhra State.

Initially, the DR was worked by the Bhavnagar-Gondal-Junagad-Porbandar Railway; and from 1911 by Bhavnagar State Railways. [1]

The IOR Record R/2/746/306 (see 'Records' below) implies that the railway was, in 1916-18, called the Dhrangadhra-Morvi Railway. Also the town of Malia has not been identified. These need clarification by examination of the IOR records.

Later, (date not established), the DR was worked by Morvi Railway before becoming part of the newly formed Saurashtra Railway in 1948.

Records

Refer to FIBIS Fact File #4: “Research sources for Indian Railways, 1845-1947” - available from the Fibis shop. This Fact File contains invaluable advice on 'Researching ancestors in the UK records of Indian Railways' with particular reference to the India Office Records (IOR) held at the British Library

An on-line search of the IOR records relating to this railway [2] gives the following: -

  • R/2/746/306; "File R/C 540:1916-1918:25 Railways - Extension of Dhrangadhra-Morvi Railway to Malia"; 1916-1918
  • L/F/7/299; “Collection 31/3: Bombay Baroda and Central India Railway: Contract as to the costs of Railway Board's control of the Dhrangadhra Railway; 1930”
  • L/F/8/20/1760; “Bombay Baroda and Central India Railway Company, Contract as to the costs of the Railway Board's control of the Dhrangadhra Railway; 1930”

Further Information

Kathiawar Peninsula Railway and Tramway Systems gives a map, timeline and relates this railway to others in the Kathiawar Peninsula.

References