Jump to navigation Jump to search
George Berkley. (1821-1893)
Railway Achievements in India
- 1859 succeeded Robert Stephenson as consulting engineer to the Great Indian Peninsula Railway (GIPR) .
- 1867 and 1886 he visited India and, besides reporting on railways, was engaged in other engineering work in various parts of that empire
- 1867: Kistna Viaduct, Raichur was the Great Indian Peninsula Railway (GIPR) Consulting Engineer on the project .
- 1872: Khundwah and Indore Railway Gauge Objection - A Report by George Berkley to the Government of India objecting to the construction of this line to the metre gauge(MG).
- 1886: visited India 
- 'Grace's Guide "George Berkley"; Retrieved on 6 June 2018
- Archive.org “Girder Making and the Practice of Bridge Building in Wrought Iron” by George Hutchinson MBMB, Inst.Mech.Eng, 1879; Page 75; Retrieved on 6 June 2018
- ‘Accounts and Papers of the House of Commons Vol 19, 1872’ pdf pages 297-300 “Letter from Board of Directors of the Great Indian Peninsula Railway Company – Railway between Khundwah and Indore, dated 4 Apr 1872” enclosing “Letter from GIPR Consulting Engineer, Mr George Berkley, dated 22 Feb 1872” ; Retrieved 6 Jun 2018