Goalpara Forest Tramway
The Goalpara Forest Tramway was constructed in 1901-02 as a 2ft/610mm narrow gauge (NG) tramline to transport timber from the Goalpara forest to Fakiragram station of the Eastern Bengal Railway (EBR). The line was exclusively built to serve the interests of the Forest Department, yet it indirectly developed the transport system in that area as well. The line length was initially 2.5 miles(4km) and extended to a total of 31.5 miles(50km) by 1938-39 . At Fakiragram the tramway connected to the Dhubri Branch Railway of the EBR which opened in 1902.
The Imperial Gazetteer of India, 1906 records ‘ The Goapara forests are of considerable commercial importance. The Government Reserves in 1903-4 covered an area of 787 square miles ... the principal forests ... are situated in the Bhutan hills, about 36 miles from Dhubri. The difficulties of transport are considerable, but have been to some extent overcome by the purchase of 6 miles of portable tramway. The experiment has proved a success, and the length of line will probably be increased’ .
- Mss Eur F252/18b; Folio 30 verso: photograph of the Forest Steam Tramway; Jan 1926-Oct 1926
For a complete and detailed history of the 'Goalpara Forest Tramway' see “Industrial Railways and Locomotives of India and South Asia” compliled by Simon Darvill. Published by ‘The Industrial Railway Society’ 2013. ISBN 978 1 901556 82-7. Available at http://irsshop.co.uk/India. Reference: Entry AS59 pages 92-96.
- "British Forest Policy in Assam" by Rajib Handique page 117; Retrieved 25 Aug 2016
- "Imperial Gazetteer of India", v. 12, p. 273 and 274; 1908; Retrieved 25 Aug 2016
- “British Library Archives and Manuscripts Catalogue” - Search; Retrieved 6 Apr 2016