By the treaty of 1801 the Nizam of Hyderabad was obliged to maintain a military force at Hyderabad called the Nizam's Contingent or Nizam's Army. This was also known as the Subsidiary Force, Hyderabad. The subsequent treaty of 1853 renamed the force the Hyderabad Contingent.
- 1st Infantry, Hyderabad Contingent
- 2nd Infantry, Hyderabad Contingent
- 3rd Infantry, Hyderabad Contingent
- 4th Infantry, Hyderabad Contingent
- 5th Infantry, Hyderabad Contingent
- 6th Infantry, Hyderabad Contingent
- 1st Cavalry, Hyderabad Contingent
- 2nd Cavalry, Hyderabad Contingent
- 3rd Cavalry, Hyderabad Contingent
- 4th Cavalry, Hyderabad Contingent
Subordinate Medical Department
- Refer Apothecary-Training
The Nizam's Contingent Google Books
Historical books online
- Letters, &c. Relative to the Capture of Rachore by Capt James Dalrymple. An operation of a detachment of British troops in the service of the Nizam 1796 Google Books
- A History of the Hyderabad Contingent by Reginald George Burton (1905) Archive.org
- “Hyderabad:- the Nizam’s Contingent” Calcutta Review Volume 11 (January-June 1849), page 141 Google Books
- Report on the medical topography and statistics of the Nizam's military cantonments and army 1852 Archive.org
- Includes details of cantonments at Bolarum page 1, Wurrungul page 5 , Lingsoogoor page 11, Mominabad page 15, Goolburgah or Eulburgah page 20 , Aurungabad page 22, Booldanah page 31, Hingolee page 36, Ellichpoor page 45, Chikuldah page 55.
- The Nizam: his history and relations with the British government, Volume I by George Briggs 1861(Google Books)
- Our Last Years in India by Mrs John B Speid 1862. Archive.org, mirror from Central Secretariat Library (CSL) [Delhi] Digital Repository. The author’s husband was in command of the 2nd Regiment of the Hyderabad Contingent Infantry. She left England 27 October 1858 and the book appears to covers the period to 19 May 1861 (although the final date given is 19 May 1859). She also includes an account of the Mutiny at Aurangabad in 1857.
- "In the Nizam’s Country" Calcutta Review Volume 63, 1876 page 217 Archive.org
- Sir Henry Russell, Resident at Hyderabad Dictionary of Indian Biography 1906
- acanthus. http://www.victorianwars.com/viewtopic.php?f=82&t=10484&sid=344fb19a927723338b37ac145ab2d1a8#p53793 Army of India question Victorian Wars Forum 20 June 2015. Originally retrieved 21 June 2015 but now no longer accessible.