Jump to navigation Jump to search
This article details connections between British India and Ireland, particularly emigration and immigration.
- Irish Townlands
- Passenger Lists (UK Ports)
- Newspapers and journals online: Pay websites and Subscription websites-online newspapers, journals and directories: Other British and Irish publications for information about the website "Irish Newspaper Archives".
- British Army - Attestation, or Enlistment books (Army Book 358) from 1920 for free online records 1920-1922 of the five disbanded British Army Irish regiments: Connaught Rangers, the Leinster Regiment, the Royal Dublin Fusiliers, the Royal Irish Regiment and the Royal Munster Fusiliers.
- The Irish In India (1790-1920) A youtube presentation of a lecture given by FIBIS chairman, Peter Bailey, in May 2012
- IrishGenealogy.ie operated by the Department of Arts, Heritage and the Gaeltacht, “a website that allows users the opportunity to search a wide range of record sources in their search of their Irish Ancestry. The website is home to the on-line historic Indexes of the Civil Registers (GRO) of Births, Marriages, Civil Partnerships and Deaths and to Church Records of Baptism, Marriage and Burial from a number of counties”. There is also a category "Research in Ireland: Get Help"
- Update: From 8 September 2016, images of the General Register Office's historical birth, marriage and death registers are also available online. Due to privacy restrictions, birth records from the past 100 years (after 1915), marriage records from the past 75 years (after 1940) and death records from the past 50 years (after 1965) are not available.
- More records have been added, and a further update is expected about November 2018, to include 1917 births etc.
- FamilySearch contains a collection of Indexed records which may be searched, Ireland Civil Registration, 1845-1913 based on a series of microfilms which have been digitised but which are not available for viewing.
- Catholic Church Records: Lecture Notes for WDYTYA Live, Birmingham April 2015 by Dr Jim Ryan. ancestornetwork.ie
- National Library of Ireland: free online Catholic Parish Register images: Baptisms and marriages to 1880. Introduced 8 July 2015. These images are not indexed by name, so you will need to know the relevant parish.
- Update October 2016. These records are also available on findmypast as Ireland Roman Catholic Parish Registers Browse (located in Life events (BMDs)/Church Registers). Significantly it is stated "we have further indexed the records, which means that they are available for search by name".
- National Archives of Ireland
- Genealogy Includes links to the 1901 and 1911 Censuses, Soldiers Wills 1914-1918 and Calendars of Wills and Administrations 1858 - 1920. Free online records.
- 15 September 2016. Six new record series were released , including "Shipping agreements and crew lists, 1863 – 1921" for the Merchant Navy, which covers not only Irish sailors, but include natives of Norway, Russia, Sweden, American and Germany. Also "Will Registers 1858 – 1922". Four of these record series, including Crew Lists and Will Registers are also available for free on findmypast.
- November 2018. Census index records are also available on FamilySearch, with data provided by the National Archives of Ireland.
- Comments about census indexing errors "Centre for Irish Genealogical and Historical Studies"
- Public Record Office of Northern Ireland also referred to as PRONI
- Online records from Anglican Record Project, Church of Ireland parishes A work in progress. Church of Ireland website. Information about surviving Parish Registers
- "‘Lads of true spirit’ – recruiting for the East India Company in Ireland" in 1779. British Library Untold lives blog 3 October 2018.
- Kabristan Archives publish The Forgotten Irish - Memorials of the Raj and A Handbook for Irish War Graves in India, Burma & Beyond 1914-45 Both titles can be found on open access in the British Library Asian and African Reading Room.
- Articles in Irish Family History-Journal of the Irish Family History Society
- "The India Callaghans" by Alfred D. F. Gabb, Volume 11 (1995) page 32
- "From Co. Kildare to India" by Tom Radigan, Volume 13 (1997) page 3
- "An Irish community in Bombay" by Abagail Sheppard, Volume 15 (1999) page 22
- "Irishmen in the East-India Company Army" by Peter Bailey, Volume 17 (2001) page 84
- National Archives Guide: Looking for records of a birth, marriage or death in Scotland and Ireland
- What Irish records are online?, archived page at 30 April 2016 from Irish Ancestors (irishtimes.com),a website which is now no longer available.
- Recruiting regions of Irish infantry regiments in the British Army from 1881 until 1922. A list of regiments, depots, counties together with a map. Select page 5 of the document in this link or pdf
- "Information Document on the Irish Regiments of the British Army up to 31st July 1922". Irish Military Archives Dublin docs.google version, original pdf
- "Irish Soldiers in the British Army 1792-1922: Suborned or Subordinate?" by Peter Karsten Journal of Social History Volume 17 No. 1 (Autumn 1983) pages 31-64 docs.google version original pdf
- "A Lost Heritage: The Connaught Rangers and Multivocal Irishness" by John Morrissey, 2005 , Chapter 3 of Ireland’s Heritages: Critical Perspectives on Memory and Identity edited by M Mc Carthy 2005. pdf Website: ARAN, National University of Ireland, Galway.