Madras Railway - Locomotive, Carriage and Wagon Workshops
Jump to navigation Jump to search
The following is quoted from “Southern India: Its History, People, Commerce, and Industrial Resources” by Somerset Playne, edited by Arnold Wright page 538. Originally published 1914-15 .
- 'The offices of the Madras and Southern Mahratta is at Royapuram, Madras and where, in bygone years the construction workshops were located. Between 1858 and 1860 steps were taken with the view of establishing works of a more permanent character at Perambur, about 4 miles distant from Madras, and towards the end of the year 1863 a portion of the engine erecting and other machine shops were built, but the accommodation was limited to twelve engines and six boilers and a proportionate number of carriages and wagons, the number of engines then on the line being about seventy.’
- ‘Extensions to the shops were carried out in 1870, 1877 and 1881, but in the year 1900 a very comprehensive scheme was prepared by the then Deputy Locomotive Superintendent Mr A Pilkington under the orders of Mr C E Phillips, Locomotive Superintendent at that time. Building operations were commenced in 1901, but a delay of several years occurred, owing to a lack of necessary funds. The works and grounds now cover an area of about 66 acres and about 5500 hands are employed, 500 of which are Europeans and Anglo-Indians.’