Nilgiri Volunteer Rifles
The Nilgiri Volunteer Rifles were a volunteer corps under the Madras command.
"The strength of the corps, on the 31st December 1905 was 13 officers and 499 rank and file, including Cadets, of whom there are two companies at the Lawrence Asylum, and some at Coonor and Coimbatore". 
- 1878 raised on 29th October (Madras GO 1032, 27th Dec 1878)
- 1892 incorporated the Coimbatore Volunteer Rifle Corps on 4th January
- 1917 amalgamated on 1st April to become 20th Nilgiri Malabar Battalion
- Headquarters - Ootacamund
- Uniform - khaki serge or drill according as stationed in the hills or plains
- The article Chasing the photographer, from The Hindu (Chennai Metro Plus 4 May 2009) briefly mentions the Nilgiri Volunteer Rifles and also contains a photograph.
- Pages 140 and 141 of Ootacamund, A History by Sir Frederick Price 1908 which is available to read online on the Digital Library of India website. The relevant computer pages are 191 and 192. Refer Online books-Digital Library of India for more details about this site.
- Indian Army List 1st Sept 1901
- Jackson, Major Donovan India's Army (1940)