Jump to navigation Jump to search
Modern name: Sialkot
|Altitude:||256 m (840 ft)|
|Present Day Details|
|See our interactive map of this location showing|
places of interest during the British period
Modern name: Sialkot
Variants: Sealkote, Siyal Kot, Sialhkot
- Scotch Mission College (later Murray College) (est 1889).
- Holy Trinity Church (now Cathedral), originally consecrated January 1857.
- Sialkot Town Imperial Gazetteer of India
- Photos of Sialkot nativepakistan.com. Includes photographs of Sialkot Cathedral and Saint James Catholic Church Sialkot, and historical photographs. Scroll down.
- Sialkot Diocese (Anglican)
- Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Lahore. Includes Sialkot
- Convent of Jesus and Mary, Sialkot Wikipedia
- Congregation of Jesus and Mary [CJM] Sialkot, now archived.
- Dawn of Christianity in Jammu by Swati Sharma. himalayanmail.com. Briefly mentions that Protestant Scottish missionaries, from the Church of Scotland, had first established their missionary presence in the border town of Sialkot in the mid eighteenth century.
- Photographs: Sialkot. Photographs from Scottish Missions, the National Library of Scotland. USC Digital Library. Includes
- Hunter Memorial Church, Pakistan, ca.1900. Church of Scotland
- "The teacher and the healer" by Muhammad Hassan Miraj, October 15, 2012 dawn.com. Dr Maria White was an American medical missionary in Sialkot. The article mentions that the cantonment was established in 1849, and also mentions the industries such as sports equipment, manufacturing of instruments for pipe bands and Scottish kilts.
- "There’s Still a Wee Bit O’ Scotland in Pakistan" by Jonathan Fowler February 29, 2004 Los Angeles Times. The making of bagpipes and Highland clothing.
- "Punjab pays tartan homage to Caledonia" by James Astill 25 April 2004 theguardian.com
Historical books online
- "Sealkote" page 387 Report of the Commissioners Appointed to Inquire into the Sanitary State of the Army in India : with Abstract of Evidence, and of Reports Received from Indian Military Stations 1864 Archive.org
- Gazetteer Of The Sialkot District 1895. A volume in the series Punjab District Gazetteers. Archive.org, Public Library of India Collection.
- Punjab District Gazetteers Sialkot District Vol. 23 Pt.a 1920. Archive.org, Public Library of India Collection.
- "Sialkot District" page 104 A list of inscriptions on Christian tombs or monuments in the Punjab, North-West Frontier Province, Kashmir and Afghanistan possessing historical or archaeological interest Part 1 by Miles Irving (1910) Hathi Trust Digital Library