- 1870, transferred to Railway Branch - Public Works Department (PWD), served in various parts of India and was instrumental in initiating and carrying out many metre-gauge extensions .
- c.1878, Dhond-Manmad State Railway, Chief Engineer , on loan
- 1879, Bhavnagar State Railway, Engineer-in-Chief , on loan
- 1883, Bengal and North-Western Railway, Agent and Chief Engineer, on loan .
- 1883-1904, Rohilkund and Kumaon Railway(R&KR), Director .
- 1898, Indian Railway Conference Association, Delegate to this Conference, representing R&KR; see photograph IOR Shelfmark Photo 1082/13(1) ,
- 1902-1904, Delhi-Umballa-Kalka Railway and Kalka-Simla Railway; joined Board of Directors .
- 1904, retired, 1904 .
Half-leather bound album measuring 280x372mm, containing 31 prints laid down on the pages, some captioned in pencil. The album was probably compiled by the railway engineer Alexander Izat and contains views of buildings on the Dhond-Manmad State Railway (c. 1870), construction of the Lansdowne Bridge over the Indus at Sukkur (1888), and miscellaneous views of Darjeeling, Cawnpore and Switzerland.
Alexander Izat joined the Indian Public Works Department in 1863, transferring to the Railway Branch in 1870, where he served on the Nizam's, Holkar's, Dhond-Manmad, Kathiawar and Bombay East Deccan lines. He was promoted Superintending Engineer in April 1880 and officiating Under Secretary, Railway Branch, to the Government of India in January 1883. His services were lent to the Bengal and North-West Railway Company as Agent and Chief Engineer in February 1883. He retired in 1889.
- Grace's Guide "Alexander Izat"; Retrieved on 7 Jul 2016
- Wikipedia "Bhavnagar State Railway"; Retrieved on 7 Jul 2016
- British Library IOR Shelfmark Photo 1082/13(1) "Photo 1082/13(1) Group portrait of delegates, identified on mount"; Retrieved on 21 Jul 2016
- India Office Records “Album of Railway and Topographical Views, Probably Compiled by Alexander Izat". Photo 1082/1; Retrieved on 21 Jul 2016